Timing Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

censley

Apprentice
Jun 30, 2012
Hey fellas,
I want to invest in a timing light. I don't know much about them. Just want a descent one. Any suggestions on brand and/or type?

Thanks!

anthonychacon80

Master Mechanic
May 4, 2010
a simple one is cheap. but I recommend getting the next one up with the dial back so you can set your advance/timing curve properly.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you have MSD do not get the dial back one. I had a Craftsman for many years and it still works, my newer one is an Equus and works well you can adjust the angle and the trigger is made of steel instead of plastic which helps if you run headers.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I've got a factory replacement HEI, and long tube headers

I've got myself an Equus 3568 digital, with full advance programming and rpm readout. http://www.equus.com/Product/Diagnostic/timing.html

this works well with my setup, the metal trigger is great around heat areas like the headers

Timing used to be a nightmare for me... like shooting darts in the dark, and it never came out right.

someone suggested this light when I started tuning my motor. There is also the Equus 3555 Advance Timing Light, which just has a manual dial, but I suggest the digital because of the rpm readout.

I can go out and tune the timing all by myself. It's very accurate, easy to use. And I even use the rpm readout when playing with the carb. It's really handy, and eliminates the need to bring someone along to sit in the car to read out your rpms.

I also looked equivalent lights, which were in the $200 to $300 range. And with how well the Equus has held up so far, for $150 from my local store, it was a great deal.

If you're rough with tools or think it's gonna be getting bang'd and thrown around, they also make the same one with a plastic cover, and some extra features. The 5568 http://www.equus.com/Product/Detail/FAE ... 48F517AD25

I really like the idea of a Timing Advance light because it lets me tune my engine through it's whole rpm range.
- With a basic timing light, unless you have a nice harmonic balancer with over 40deg timing marks, you're really limited to just setting timing at idle, and the rest of the rpm range is a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor