Timing mark jumps around

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
I finally got the engine run and not die when given throttle but now when trying to time the engine, the timing mark on the harmonic balancer jumps around. I don't mean a few degrees here or there... It jumps around and never stays in one spot. I checked the plug wires and they are all snug and the distributor is brand new. Also, the vacuum advance on the distributor is plugged and so is the line to the carb. Any ideas on what to try next?

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
Check for slack in the timing chain or check the balancer to see if the outer ring moves seperatly from the inner ring. Sometimes the rubber between the two breaks apart and allows them to move in relation to each other.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Also check your timing light. I have had those go bad in the past and they do weird stuff. Some digital lights and Multi spark ignition boxes do not get along also.

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
K I will check those. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Is your CCC in diagnostic mode? Is your magnetic pickup on spark plug number one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor