Timing Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
So I replaced my distributor because the one in there was making a squeaking noise when it's cold out. I got it in and the car starts and runs fine. I set up my timing light and I can't find the freaking mark, so I advance the dial on my light and finally see the mark, but it's at like 60 degrees. I'm not sure what's going on with this. I set my timing a few months ago and it was fine. Anyone have ideas?
Just to eliminate the possibility, I went and bought another timing light; same results. WTH??

The car is an 85 Grand Prix, stock 305. No vacuum on the distributor, it's the one with the 4 wire connector that you leave unplugged to set base timing.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
The only theory I have right now is that the rubber connection on the balancer slipped and the outside of the balancer is further in one direction. Not sure what else would cause this.

jimmyp618

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2009
Pull the #1 plug , set to TDC and remark balancer to check to see if it did move on ya .

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
If you set your timing "a few months ago", and you just swapped out a distributor, what makes you think that the timing is going to stay the same?? I'm good, but I aint that good, and I've been doing this for, oh, about 45 years. You also might want to make sure you are on the #1 plug wire. Stranger things have happened. ..............mickey-d :shock: :lol:

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
mickey-d said:
If you set your timing "a few months ago", and you just swapped out a distributor, what makes you think that the timing is going to stay the same?? I'm good, but I aint that good, and I've been doing this for, oh, about 45 years. You also might want to make sure you are on the #1 plug wire. Stranger things have happened. ..............mickey-d :shock: :lol:

I did not think the timing would stay the same, I was just stating that I had just set it recently and the mark was way off this time, which I was not expecting; basically just saying that I did not have any issues setting base time a few months back (November). Doesn't matter anyway, I figured it out. I became retarded for a while and I was not on the #1 wire. I don't know what I was thinking, I guess that's what I get for working on stuff when I'm tired. Thanks for the help...

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
I believe that's what they call "sh*t Happens" :eek: , and it happens to all of us. Glad you figured it out, and congrats for being honest about it. :oops: A lot of guys would have lied their asses off and said any number of things, but you told the truth. :shock: Good job.
mickey-d :lol:

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
mickey-d said:
I believe that's what they call "sh*t Happens" :eek: , and it happens to all of us. Glad you figured it out, and congrats for being honest about it. :oops: A lot of guys would have lied their asses off and said any number of things, but you told the truth. :shock: Good job.
mickey-d :lol:

Thanks. I still feel like an idiot, but that helps. I've been working on cars for years (at least 16) and I have no excuse other than I was tired. The forum did help, though. I was setting tdc on number one to verify that my mark was on target and it occured to me that my timing light was hooked up to number two :rofl:

I figured that I should leave it up in case some other poor schmuck is working on his car late at night and does the same thing. Thanks :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor