timing sets for roller cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
ok so as many people know i am going with a retro roller cam. my understanding is you need a cam button ofcourse and its best to us a thrust bearing behind cam gear. so i am looking at timing sets designed for the bearing.

heres what i have so far:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Depa ... rice%7cAsc

but my question is what is good and whats too much?
i was kind of looking at the cloyes one for $75

87canadiancutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2011
Alberta Canada
Your are right about the cam button. (I would get a nylon one just cause if it's to big, you just shave it down) Now here's the kicker, you may not need a thrust washer behind the cam gear. Most of the time the block has to be machined to keep the timing gears online after a washer is installed(on retro fit engines). Unless there is clearance bluilt into the timing set, but that's unlikely. One other note, it's not a bad idea to upgrade your timing cover due to the increased thrust on the cover. The damped steel ones are pretty weak.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
I went with a Comp Cams billet timing set with the thrust bearing built in i believe it was around $90. I bought the roller cam button but as previously stated if not correct you need to shave. Well i winded up buying a solid alluminum button and milling to I got the correct cam play. Also dont forget when going roller you need to change to a bronze distributer gear.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
I thought howards claims not needing a bronze gear

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Depends on the cam type. Not all rollers need a bronze gear. Just ask the company you are purchasing your cam from what gear you need for the distributor. Usually you only need the bronze gear if your cam is billet steel. I am guessing your going hydraulic roller?

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Yeah ordering a howards retro roller. hydraulic roller

13bravo

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2011
Hudson, NY
The cloyes one for $75 is good, and I've found that some of comp cams timing sets are just re-boxed cloyes sets anyways.

Your using a long water pump right? I've been finding that a lot of the aluminum timing covers cannot be used with short water pumps.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Yeah long water pump. I have a new comp double roller now but no provision for thrust bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor