timing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebronco69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2008
soooooooooooo
88 monte 5.0 ss has no timing marks on the balancer behind the crank pulleys, how do i time this thing? are there timing marks someplace else?
\thanks

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It should be there. Maybe the groove in the balancer is full of grease or gunk and obscured. I paint mine occasionally with white paint, and also paint the 0 degree mark on the timing tab too.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
sometimes the mark is on the pulley. check both.
make a mark on the intake where the #1 wire sits on the distributor. pop the cap off and turn the engine by hand until the rotor points at the mark. now the timing mark on the pulley/balancer should be by the pointer, look hard. sometimes you need to use an old toothbrush to scrub the pulley and use your finger to feel for the groove.

bluebronco69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2008
ok i can try but i looked for a while and couldnt find as much as a scratch on the pulley
thanks

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The mark is not on the pulley, it is on the harmonic balancer that the pulley bolts to. It will be there, but you may have to turn the engine 180 degrees to find it as it may be at the top.

BACKSLAP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 19, 2008
bring engine to #1 tdc, make your own marks.
so u can see them in the future,

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor