To Paint the Hood or Not to Paint, Thoughts?

Paint the Hood or not Paint the Hood

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfox

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2012
Ok here we go.
I just bought the Cowl hood for my car the other day, It was already painted by previous owner. It had never been installed on a car before let alone my car. So I installed it with help from my friend and neighbor made sure it fit good and left it on there until I get it to Paint.

Here is the problem, I keep getting people say it looks good like it is and I should not paint it. I would rather it match the car and blend in but thought I would ask for others thoughts on this.

I don't plan on keeping it this color forever but I might hold off till i get the entire car painted next year.

Thoughts Please.
IMG_4277.JPG
IMG_4279.JPG
IMG_4280.JPG

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I would paint it to match the car. You should add a poll to this thread. That's a good looking car you have there.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I agree with Jared....paint it to match. It doesn't look bad, but it will look way better once painted.
At the end of the day it's you're cutlass, $$$, etc.
Btw, that is one clean looking cutlass!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
While I would usually say paint to match, if you are going to paint the car complete in the near future, I'd live with it.

Reason being, you do not want to have 3 paint jobs on the panel. Pretty much industry standard in refinish materials says no more than 12 mils of material....3 base/clear finishes will exceed that, especially if there is any primer-surfacer or epoxy on it under the existing color. Most painters like to load up the clear to cut/buff to eliminate all traces of peel/texture, at the expense of recommended material thickness, which can lead to problems with chipping.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
If your going to paint soon I would wait - or it would be a good excuse to paint earlier.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor