Toby's cowl hood, fresh out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
this is great, makes me all gitty!! Thanks on the compliments, it truly means the world to me. As for the scuff and shoot. You can use red, or grey scuff pads, then shoot. I usually scuff, primer, seal, basecoat, then clear.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I'm not going to champion either side in the pissing match, it is what it is. I do agree with this though.
the hood more closely designed to look more like the FE3X Oldsmobile engineered hood rather than Chevrolet.

The hood doesn't look bad, it's just that g-bodies are the turning point in when GM cars began to lose their identity and it's nice to see some resemblance of the heritage.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
I love these pics of the hood and can't wait to get mine from GBP

I finally got paint on my car!! I will try to get some more pics or maybe even a build thread started.
IMG_20160116_220324.jpg
IMG_20160116_220324.jpg
IMG_20160116_220525.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160116_220544.jpg
    IMG_20160116_220544.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 224
Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I work at a bodyshop for my brother, he painted it with the painter that works for him. I'm just a frame guy.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Im curious, in your area how much is a paint job like that ? Ive been trying to find a shop within a 30-40 distance from where I live (Long Island) and most estimates start at $10K and go up from there. This is on a Malibu wagon that I want stripped, doors off, glass out, single color (silver). The car has a 17 year old BC/CC paint job with 0 rust. One shop quoted me $18K. Crazy prices !!!

Im curious, in your area how much is a paint job like that ? Ive been trying to find a shop within a 30-40 distance from where I live (Long Island) and most estimates start at $10K and go up from there. This is on a Malibu wagon that I want stripped, doors off, glass out, single color (silver). The car has a 17 year old BC/CC paint job with 0 rust. One shop quoted me $18K. Crazy prices !!!
We did another '86 442 two years ago and I think it was about $10K. That's including new door seals and a few other parts. Paint and materials are expensive, we just painted a blue 68 GTX and the gallon of color was $800! I got my paint at cost and still paid almost $600 for a gallon of solvent based color. Our paint mixing system gives us the ability to monitor all materials by the ounce, and we bill on that. I will ask my brother about it tomorrow. I remember when an overall paint job was about $2K, now we have that in paint and marterials.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
We did another '86 442 two years ago and I think it was about $10K. That's including new door seals and a few other parts. Paint and materials are expensive, we just painted a blue 68 GTX and the gallon of color was $800! I got my paint at cost and still paid almost $600 for a gallon of solvent based color. Our paint mixing system gives us the ability to monitor all materials by the ounce, and we bill on that. I will ask my brother about it tomorrow. I remember when an overall paint job was about $2K, now we have that in paint and marterials.

Thanks for the reply. I know materials have skyrocketed over the past 10 years. I want the car done with quality primer, paint and clear. Sikkens or Glasurit would be my first choice but Ive used PPG and Dupont products over the years and theyre fine too. I figured at least $2800 in materials since its a wagon.
Does a $10K price out there include any bodywork ? My car was painted close to 17 years ago down in SC. Nothings popped so far and I havent been able to find any rust repair. Im sure theres little dings here and there that were filled. I just had the two front fenders cleaned up. Had the jambs sandblasted and the outside of the fenders stripped with a DA. Each one had some area that was filled with a skim coat.
It sounds like your shop would be the place to take my car ! Too bad youre so far away ! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor