Torque converter options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkey

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2013
Aberdeen, North Carolina
I'm pulling my hair out trying to fix this thing and i've narrowed it down to a bad torque converter. The car runs BEAUTIFULLY as soon as i put it in gear it feels like it has a massive load on it. Once it switches to 2nd it feels slightly better but still can hardly get out of its way. However i'm not a mechanic This is just what i've gathered from local mechanics and people who have driven the car.

What are my options for torque converter? i don't want a high stall or anything like that just OEM ish.

Thanks in advance

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I think you mean the torque converter clutch. Unplug the wiring, only connector, just above the trans pan on the trans, drivers side. Go for a drive. Does it still have the catalytic converter? If so, it could be plugged. I had a torque converter go bad, acted like a super high stall converter.

jkey

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2013
Aberdeen, North Carolina
olds307 and 403 said:
I think you mean the torque converter clutch. Unplug the wiring, only connector, just above the trans pan on the trans, drivers side. Go for a drive. Does it still have the catalytic converter? If so, it could be plugged. I had a torque converter go bad, acted like a super high stall converter.

It does still have the cat on the car. where would the Wiring be you speak of? cars a 86 monte carlo ss with 200-4r

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Look under your car, there is a square blue plug mid way above the pan, simply unplug and drive. The solenoid that controls converter lock up is known to stick on, causing your symptoms. It is very easy to change but you have to drop the pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor