Torque! Rocket power vs LS power

Status
Not open for further replies.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Actually that is exactly what is being done, are we not reading the same thread?
No one is attacking your choice in engines/vehicles (if I'm wrong, point out the specific posts).

From my observation..... members who have ls swapped their g-body are open to any gm powerplant (and many also have a BOP/sbc powered gbody). It's the BOP and SBC purists that want to dictate what others swap in their vehicles.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
That is impressive then, the tune and gearing along with the better intake were the difference makers.

The thing is people just slapped in a smaller converter to gain the torque multiplication off the line, but gave little consideration to the cumulative increase in acceleration past first gear that diff gears make. Aka. making the most of the power available all the time, not just for 60'.

Another thing is a converter always revealed the need for suspension and drag tires. I did that mid-12 run on blown out shocks and hockey pucks mounted on 18s. Again, not a bad result for a "lid", cat deletes, a cutout, gears, and a basic tune.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I'll throw out there that 6.0 or 6.2 LS is genuinely over-rated.

The LS2 in my TBSS would like to have a word with you.

Yeah, I was attacked for exactly those reasons in this thread🙄. You guys just really seem angry I haven't been impressed by the LS. Mike picked at me in thread and I responded back with my experience of STOCK, truck LS engines and why I really don't want one in anything.

Attacked is a bit extreme. Also, it is just friendly banter from me.

Maybe I have been annoying lately, I am a little off right now.

I haven't forgotten, others may have or not known about your situation. If you need space step back.

With respect to non-Chebbies this caught my eye last night. Not an Olds but still awesome.

PXL_20210916_225709903.jpg
PXL_20210916_225659700.MP.jpg
PXL_20210916_225701845.jpg

There is some money in there.

• Winner
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Mike, I know it was friendly banter, others obviously didn't see it as that.

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Mike, I know it was friendly banter, others obviously didn't see it as that.
Christian, I hope you don’t think that I was angry. I’ll admit my post was certainly directed towards you though. It gets tiring to hear about LS engines and how they suck at producing torque when it is not true. It seems you do so every chance you get. If I didn’t know better it would indicate an inferiority complex and your need to defend your decision to build an Olds 350. I’m glad you are keeping your car all Oldsmobile and like many others on this forum, I enjoy your build posts. You and I are more alike than you would think. Everyone has to make their own decisions in life. Whether that is spiritually or what engine to build. As you may know, I have had several Oldsmobile engines in my car and was in process of building a fuel injected 455 until I realized I could get a better bang for the buck and better performance going with modern LS power. I have zero regrets. To each his own though. It’s your car. Do with it as you see fit.

Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
We realize that your wife is having a rough time and we ALL are hoping for the best possible outcome. But, respectfully, that has no bearing on this particular thread.
Speaking only for myself, again, drive what you like. No one is personally attacking you for your preferences. This thread is not an "angry" response to one of your posts. It was just a couple dyno sheets and some numbers. Post #5 already poked most of the holes in the comparison. Counterpoint in a debate is not a personal attack.
So how would you like to continue the LS vs Rocket discussion? HP/$? Esthetics? Overall reliability? Highest ever recorded torque number? Feelz? Which one has destroyed the most 4L60e's? Or maybe which one would be the easiest swap in a Challenger?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Why do you keep calling it incompetence? OEs are bound by certain parameters. They need to meet emissions, return CAFE numbers, make enough power to satisfy 90% of their customers, all while maintaining a competitive warranty AND be comparatively priced with the competition. Not every vehicle is built to be a hot rod. That's what the aftermarket is for.

That and the fact LS engines have oiling system shortcomings. Front mounted crank driven oil pumps, long intake tubes, deep block skirts, shallow oil pans are not great for high pergormance oiling. The LS1 was originally designed to max out at 5,800 rpm. While higher flowing heads were developed for the LS family, GM didn't really update the oiling system enough to keep up with the heads. LS7s tried to fix it with their hybrid wet/dry sump oil system which didn't complete resolved oiling issues.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Christian, I hope you don’t think that I was angry. I’ll admit my post was certainly directed towards you though. It gets tiring to hear about LS engines and how they suck at producing torque when it is not true. It seems you do so every chance you get. If I didn’t know better it would indicate an inferiority complex and your need to defend your decision to build an Olds 350. I’m glad you are keeping your car all Oldsmobile and like many others on this forum, I enjoy your build posts. You and I are more alike than you would think. Everyone has to make their own decisions in life. Whether that is spiritually or what engine to build. As you may know, I have had several Oldsmobile engines in my car and was in process of building a fuel injected 455 until I realized I could get a better bang for the buck and better performance going with modern LS power. I have zero regrets. To each his own though. It’s your car. Do with it as you see fit.

I see a lot of LS guys act that way too. Posting in old gen threads about how much old tech sucks *ss, how their swap only costs 10 cents, and that everyone should just LS swap it. Many knock old tech every chance they get. Its very obnoxious and indicates an inferiority complex by the LS guys who do it. Plus this thread does show how each engine fanbase gets prissy when their favorite motor is insulted, including the LS fanboys.

• Agree

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Plus this thread does show how each engine fanbase gets prissy when their favorite motor is insulted.
The purpose of this thread was to look at some data to disprove the low torque claim that Christian continues to make. Plain and simple. If it was true everybody would agree. This has been going on for years….

Think of it this way. Based on your name it looks like you are a Star Wars fan. Let’s say you’re part of a movie forum. Some guy continues to berate Star Wars movies saying they’re childish and stupid…. Especially tie fighters. We all know that’s not true and Star Wars continues to be a huge success. I’d bet you’d chime in and have something to say.

1631890588956.jpeg

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I see a lot of LS guys act that way too. Posting in old gen threads about how much old tech sucks *ss, how their swap only costs 10 cents.
really? If that is happening it’s wrong. I don’t think I’ve seen that here but usually it’s in defense of an old timer claiming that LS engines suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor