Torque! Rocket power vs LS power

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I typed a long response about a former customer's 400,000 mile Silverado with original 5.3 and 4L60e, then deleted it. You probably wouldn't believe me or care. I worked on a lot of 350s, 305s, and 4.3s with well over 200k too.

Hate on LSs and SBCs all you want. They aren't going away. My Cutlass will get a BBO because that's the vibe I want it to have. Until then, my super lame but completely reliable high-mileage 305 will be fine. If my goal was reliability, power, MPG, and low build cost, I'd be putting an LS in it.

BA-A-A-A-A-A-A.

Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Most of mid to late 70's sbc were not very good, most didn't make 300,000 km, not miles. They were good and just durable as any Olds from the early mid 80's on. Who said the LS wasn't durable? Other than some cam wear on DOD and some piston slap on some 6L, I haven't heard of any durability issues. Next you tell me the the 700R4/4L60E never fail towing. We had trouble getting used ones from a huge truck wrecker. I saw plenty on GM reman stickers on trucks that towed. There is a TSB tied to them failing. Dr Dan, a GM tech for 25 years, a 2004R expert hated building them. He would only build them when necessary and do every possible upgrade. Bah, bah, bah. Whatever that means🤣? Apparently, an Olds is only cool if it is a BB and you approve the vibe🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
How about the Olds sheet metal valley pan intake gasket? How many of the rest of you have seen coolant spraying all over the firewall? How about the pot metal rocker bridges? They all have their warts.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Wow, 6 pages in one calendar day to dump or love on LS's.

Technology is NOT a bad thing. It's crazy to believe that a motor from 40+ years ago is going to compete with a new anything , Dodge, Ford or GM. The difference between the 3 is that GM was smart enough to do what they did in the 60's and maintain a platform for more than 20 years - LS late 90's to present.

I truly do understand brand loyalty - Jesus Mary and Joseph, my username references an engine design that came out of the 50's. But to hate on an LS is downright ridiculous. Find any long block that was offered in a street vehicle over the past 100 years that can handle 1000hp in stock form other than LS and I'll call you a liar.

They are what they are.

Jim

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have never said they are junk and they take huge boost, both are true. All I said, in STOCK TRUCK FORM, ALL THE TRUCKS, 4 OF THEM TOWING OR NOT, PRE GEN 5 HAVE FELT WEAK DOWN LOW. I am not the only one who has experienced this🤷‍♂️. It has to be a tune issue on certain models. The Olds 350 block will take 650 hp, more than I will ever need. Then there is the Diesel block, much more and the Nascar Olds block, it will take a lot more, including a big overbore. Not everyone wants a LS.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I can't tell if you're being intentionally obtuse or something is getting lost in the Canadia to 'Murica translation. We all get it. You love SBO and V6 Challengers and hate 4L60s and LS anything. It's literally the entirety of 90% of your posts. Hey, I like Olds stuff too, but it isn't a way of life for me. I can recognize when another platform doesn't suck.

If I read the intent of the thread properly, it was that a 6.0 LS power numbers were close to, but better than a 350 Olds. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, it's an apples and pears comparison. Not oranges, because they were somewhat similar, but definitely not apples because there are obvious differences. Numbers are numbers but your arguments seem to be mostly opinion based.

There are so many drivetrain options that I don't understand why you get so wound up if people just like other stuff. I just pointed out the "vibe" for my own car because I think an Olds makes sense in an Olds and it's mostly era correct. Certainly, no one needs my approval for an engine swap. I sure wish we could all get your approval to not hate anything that isn't a SBO or Pentastar.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'll throw out there that 6.0 or 6.2 LS is genuinely over-rated. I intend to never run either in Monte Alban only to prove a point that they are over priced and underperform as compared to a either 4.8 or 5.3. On top of that they can't be had locally for $1000-1500 where as 4.8/5.3's are still $250.

And yes, you don't need a 6.0 to make 1000hp with an LS. A lowly Gen 3 4.8 is more than capable. (4.8LS is 60x4.8= 298 cubic inches)

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I like a lot more than that and you know it. I really liked your Datsun wagon. You guys just can't seem to stand that I am not enamored by these motors. Sorry that they are blah in trucks due to GM's incompetence. Sorry I don't like exactly what you like, my apologies. LS rule!🙃 Sorry my Dodge is a cool car too.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
With nothing more than transmission tuning, some light intake and exhaust mods, and some 4.11s that car went mid-12s.
Damnnnnnn. And to think if the General would have just sold these with a slightly looser torque converter and 3.73 gears.....they would have been factory 12 second cars.

Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Why do you keep calling it incompetence? OEs are bound by certain parameters. They need to meet emissions, return CAFE numbers, make enough power to satisfy 90% of their customers, all while maintaining a competitive warranty AND be comparatively priced with the competition. Not every vehicle is built to be a hot rod. That's what the aftermarket is for.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor