trans cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I thought I read that stacked plate is better than tube and fin.... Or, is it th he other way around? :unsure:

Stacked plate is better than a tube and fin. Junior's Cutty runs a 11x11 Hayden mounted in between the intercooler and radiator and works well. I'm going to run the same out in the open with a 10" fan. The Cutty never hits 150 degrees on the trans temp.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I thought I read that stacked plate is better than tube and fin.... Or, is it th he other way around? :unsure:
Stacked plate is better than a tube and fin. Junior's Cutty runs a 11x11 Hayden mounted in between the intercooler and radiator and works well. I'm going to run the same out in the open with a 10" fan. The Cutty never hits 150 degrees on the trans temp.
Yes and much more durable as well.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
Stacked plate is better than a tube and fin.

Correct. They are more thermally efficient than tube and fin, meaning they cool better than a tube and fin of the same dimensions.

Yes and much more durable as well.

That, too.

Benefit #3: their sturdier fins don't fold if you look at them funny, so a stacked plate design allows for better airflow through its core and thus better airflow for whatever heat exchanger(s) sit behind it.

Reactions: 3 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I don't see how that dinky in-rad trans cooler could possibly do much for heating or cooling purposes. Ever seen one? Here:
View attachment 139454
I put the biggest Derale I could find in.
View attachment 139455

It goes back to basic science. Heat transfers by either conduction, convection, or radiation. Conduction is the quickest while radiation is the slowest. Its why you feel colder in water than in air at the same temp. Water (liquid) conducts heat out of your body faster than air (gas). A liquid to liquid heat exchanger does not need to be as large as a liquid to gas heat exchanger because conduction is 32 times faster than radiation.

• Haha
  • Agree

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
It goes back to basic science. Heat transfers by either conduction, convection, or radiation. Conduction is the quickest while radiation is the slowest. Its why you feel colder in water than in air at the same temp. Water (liquid) conducts heat out of your body faster than air (gas). A liquid to liquid heat exchanger does not need to be as large as a liquid to gas heat exchanger because conduction is 32 times faster than radiation.
Sorry, boss, but I ain't buying that a single pass for 7" through the liquid is that effective.

• Agree

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Sorry, boss, but I ain't buying that a single pass for 7" through the liquid is that effective.

Its more than the mode of heat transfer, but also the medium. Liquid has higher thermal conductivity than gas, another reason why you feel colder in 76 degree water than in 76 degree air. Through solids have the greatest thermal conductivity. The thermal conductivity of air is only .02, while water is .6.

Now you are partly right, because the in rad cooler cannot cool ATF below the temp of the coolant in the cold side of the rad. Now outside air is cooler than the coolant, but it can't conduct heat away as quickly. This is why OEMs use both in HD transmission cooling setups. The in rad cooler quickly cools the ATF down to the temps of the cool side of the rad. Then the extra liquid to air cooler then removes what little heat is left in the ATF and reduce it further to air temp. Its the best of both worlds.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Mar 23, 2020
Iowa
i'm in the process of ordering a tran cooler for a olds 455 with a 350 transmission . looking to buy the hayden 678 or 698, would like to know if there is a big difference, and maybe some advice on the best one to choose . i'm planning on bypassing the radiator and just run the lines to the trans cooler. i saw a post where someone used what seem like a inline filter is that something to also consider doing . will appreciate any advice or opinion.
If you can swing it Motion Raceworks has a nice kit for $289 with Fragola brand lines and fittings, that is what i just got in last week. Its a solid piece for the money!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor