trans crossmember help

Status
Not open for further replies.

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio
I wonder if someone who has bought or built a crossmember, could post pics and/or measurements/materials used. I am getting ready to build one for a 700r4 (I can't justify the $200+ price tag) I can figure out the angles but, would like to know the widths of the exhaust openings, the heights of the mount pad in relationship to the frame bracket etc. also the material specs. I am building it with the body off, so my fear is to build a nice xmember and then realize that it hits the body when they are reunited. Thanks in advance!

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
Have no fear I'll be doing this in a couple weeks.

So far the basic design is going to be 2" or 2.5" box tube and 1/8th in flatstock for the notches. I'll double up the flat stock one piece bent to the relief shape and one piece bowed over it gradually.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Here's some pics of mine, they aren't the best though. Sorry, I don't have any of the measurements you want. I had ove 50 bucks in the metal, and for the weght and pain that it was, i'd gladly buy one from iceman next time. I used angle for where the mount is and where it attaches to the frame. Then used some c-channel(1/4in I think) but it flexed so we put some small strips of flat steel at the top of the "c's". Then the rest was box tubing.

100_0289.jpg

100_0291.jpg

100_0293.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor