trans problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

1980Gbody

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2007
Warren MI
i just got done swapping my 305 back into my car so i can build the 350 but now im having trans problems i got everythign hooked up and it runnign took it for a test drive and the trans would shift into 2nd but then it wont shift into third and when its insecond it feels like it has a stall on it, i have to get it up to a certain amount of rpms to get it to speed up when idrove it last wiht the 350 in it and that trans it worked wonderful so i dont get wuts wrong wiht it the linkage is all good i disconected the kick down cable incase that was sticking and i check for a vaccum leak wiht the vaccum line running from the manifold to it no problems there i just dont get wuts wrong

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
What transmission does it have? That may help people with the answer to your question. I would look at the trans fluid level as some may have spilled during the swap and an incorrect level would cause the problem you spoke of in any automatic. I would also try adjusting the TV cable if it has one ( The TH350 has a kickdown cable and a modulator-both could be a possible cause of your trouble.) Lastly, did you properly seat the torque converter when you installed the 305?If not, it could be binding the transmission pump if the pump drive tangs are not engaged in the converter. I don't know if you can install the trans with an improperly seated converter in your car, but I know it is possible on some cars.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Also check your vacume line. I had a problem that was similar to yours. Except mine wouldn't shift out of 1st. I was worried that the transmission was shot. Then i noticed that the vacume line was kinked. after i fixed that the transmission worked fine.

1980Gbody

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2007
Warren MI
its a th350 and i checked the vacumm line cause i had that problem before to but it shifts outta 1st it just wont go into 3rd and its not burning the trans fluid either so i dont get it it wineds out like it has a stall on it and wont shift to third

1980Gbody

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2007
Warren MI
and when i went to bolt the torq conv up to the fly wheel it was all the way in and i had to like pull it forward about a 1/4 inch would that have caused the problem

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Did you verify that the shift linkage is letting the trans fully engage into drive? If you have a binding linkage or bad shifter bushings it may be causing the problem you have. Beyond that, I don't know what would cause the problem you have after a swap when it worked fine before.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
check your throttle valve cable!!!! it controls your shift points, line pressure etc.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
TH350 does not use a TV cable, Th200C, TH200 4R and Th700 R4 do. The Th350 uses a vacuum modulator for most of those functions although some of them use a kickdown cable for downshifts. Sounds like the same thing, but remember that the TV cable is used to sense load which is the function the vacuum modulator does on the TH350.

1980Gbody

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2007
Warren MI
the problems solved the bolt for the kick down cable was stripped so it was loose and wasnt alowing the trans to shift

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor