trans shifts funny when hot??

Status
Not open for further replies.

86CLCruiser

Apprentice
May 4, 2008
I have noticed in the past week or so that after my monte warms up a bit, the trans starts shifting funny. It doesnt wanna downshift after slowing down so i have to manually put it in 2nd pick up my speed and put it back in D. Then from a stop it seems to skip a gear and go right into OD. And slowing down to a stop it seems to almost wanna stall. And ideas fellas?? Its an 86 4.3 automatic.

I am gonna drop the pan this weekend and flush the trans and replace the filter cause i have no clue how overdue that is.

thanks
Monnie

jatguit

Greasemonkey
Mar 27, 2007
Sounds like the TCC (torque converter clutch) Solenoid. Fairly common for those to go. If you have the overdrive (4 spd) auto transmission, then they are easy to replace as they are accesible when you drop the pan.
Check the manuals for the instructions. If you search on this site, someone i believe posted the GM part number for it somewhere.
IF you are going to drop the pan anyways, you might as well do this and see if it fixes it.
Usually after it warms up is when it does it, as time goes on it tends to get worse.

IF you have the 200C 3spd auto transmission, you have to pull the whole transmission to do it (bad design). I have a 200c 3spd. auto with the problem and I spliced in a cutoff switch on the brake circuit that has the TCC disengage wire going to it and that has worked well.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i sounds like the lockup isn't disengaging to me too. if it's one you can get to when you drop the pan, hook a ground wire too it and jump power to it. it should allow air flow through it when off, then when you jump it flow should cease. and of course when you remove power you should get flow again.

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
funny trans shift

why not disconnect the tcc wires to the trans and see if anything changes the plug is on the out side of the trans :D

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
because that would be too damn simple! don't you know that any diagnosis is supposed to be difficult, sweaty and bloody work? duhhh!
just kidding, actually i'm slapping myself upside the head right now. :blam:

86CLCruiser

Apprentice
May 4, 2008
thanks guys, i will check that this weekend, hopefully its something simple

86CLCruiser

Apprentice
May 4, 2008
nope, its the 200C transmission, so which plug is it guys? I have the pan dropped replacing the filter anyway. PLease let me know, thanks guys, happy 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor