Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

86rocket

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2017
Grass is greener is always the case, but both trans have their place. I say anything performance and old school like our cars is a million times cooler than a new mustang, camaro, or challanger (while still cool) that your grandma can drive to bingo haha. My younger brother has a 73 240z with a skyline engine, badass car and for sure faster than my cutlass, but I pushed his clutch in and it's like butter, told him to get a "real" clutch haha, All in good fun. Seems like the stick will be the better choice in my case. Keep the responses coming, and I'll be sure to update with new times and what trans I went with by spring time if all goes well.

86rocket

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2017
Not sure if pics are working but I tried to attach a pic of the 355 olds in it

Attachments

• 20170715_120657.jpg
    20170715_120657.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 155

86rocket

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2017
Pic of my bros engine, I think it's from an 89 skyline, rb2.5det, car moves and revs to like 7500!

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Nice looking Olds 350. I really would like that TKO for my 70S, the stock TH350 sucks with it's 1800 rpm stall back in the car. Your conversion is most of the way done, mine would be $3500 easy, ouch.

86rocket

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2017
Thanks! Same here though, trouble with not being born a millionaire haha. Even buying the tko, with shipping and making a new driveshaft will be 3k easy. But gotta pay to play I guess, could probobly buy about 10 t5's for that price and keep them in inventory haha. Btw i know your year is a little more rare in the bone yards but I scored my pedals from a 1978 cutlass with a 3.8 and the z bar from a, I wanna say 76 cutlass with 260. The rest of it I made, spherical rod ends at a local parts place were like 6$ each and couple pieces of 1/2 round stock, I wish I took more pics. Its a Shame 81-88 g bodies were all auto.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Get a new oldsmobile qjet or something similar. Edelbrocks just aren't good. I mean, they work, but they aren't good. All you'd really need is a
75-80 Oldsmobile qjet, rebuilt to stock specs, pop out the aluminum plug in the air horn and tap in a pipe plug (or bolt with a slot in the bottom) so you have access to the adjustable part throttle screw, then just rebuild it as normal with gaskets, throttle shaft bushings, new well plugs and epoxy over em. Done. Will last damn near forever and be infinitely better than the edelbrock that, may I add, is about 150-200cfm too small. The 600 is fine for a chevy, but not for any BOP motor. They love CFM. Small carbs generally have good off idle throttle response. Doesn't mean it's the best carb for the engine.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Thanks! Same here though, trouble with not being born a millionaire haha. Even buying the tko, with shipping and making a new driveshaft will be 3k easy. But gotta pay to play I guess, could probobly buy about 10 t5's for that price and keep them in inventory haha. Btw i know your year is a little more rare in the bone yards but I scored my pedals from a 1978 cutlass with a 3.8 and the z bar from a, I wanna say 76 cutlass with 260. The rest of it I made, spherical rod ends at a local parts place were like 6$ each and couple pieces of 1/2 round stock, I wish I took more pics. Its a Shame 81-88 g bodies were all auto.
There were a few mexican montes with 4 speeds. Other than that, nada. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor