Transmission dilema

Status
Not open for further replies.

86rocket

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2017
The carb I just pulled of was actually a 1980 800 q-jet, it was a chevy one though I believe with the fuel inlet facing left. I did adjust the apt screw, rebuilt, and richer secondary rods. It was just so worn out, put the edelbrock on there just to be able to drive It. I'll have to look into finding a bop q jet this winter also, thanks.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Get a new oldsmobile qjet or something similar. Edelbrocks just aren't good. I mean, they work, but they aren't good. All you'd really need is a
75-80 Oldsmobile qjet, rebuilt to stock specs, pop out the aluminum plug in the air horn and tap in a pipe plug (or bolt with a slot in the bottom) so you have access to the adjustable part throttle screw, then just rebuild it as normal with gaskets, throttle shaft bushings, new well plugs and epoxy over em. Done. Will last damn near forever and be infinitely better than the edelbrock that, may I add, is about 150-200cfm too small. The 600 is fine for a chevy, but not for any BOP motor. They love CFM. Small carbs generally have good off idle throttle response. Doesn't mean it's the best carb for the engine.
I agree completely with this. The Edelbrock probably will run OK on your motor. They are either calibrated very rich or just built wrong. I did exactly the same as above. When I boosted my compression from 8 to 1 up to 9.6 to 1 my carb ran awful. The idle air bypass isn't enough for that cam. I sent it to Everyday Performance, what difference him opening the idle tubes and a complete ultrasonic cleaning rebuild did. Plus with the threaded plug and notched APT it took two minutes to go from tire smoke to lean economy mode. Here is a good deal on a 403 carb. The jetting will be close but the idle circuits will need tweeking.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/parts-sale/119667-1970-olds-350-parts-more.html

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The carb I just pulled of was actually a 1980 800 q-jet, it was a chevy one though I believe with the fuel inlet facing left. I did adjust the apt screw, rebuilt, and richer secondary rods. It was just so worn out, put the edelbrock on there just to be able to drive It. I'll have to look into finding a bop q jet this winter also, thanks.
It's gotta be olds specific. You'll know by looking up the #s. BOP, Chevy, Caddy, and Mopar (yes, mopar used them) are ALL different from make, model, year, application, california, canada, etc. Your old qjet was probably fine, but it was a Chevy qjet. Calibrated for a chevy. I ran a brand new rebuilt chevy qjet on my Buick 350 and it ran like dog sh*t, but ran 110% on my neighbors Chevy 350 monte. On my engine it wouldn't idle, would sputter, etc. no matter what I did to it. I then rebuilt one for a Buick 350 (17058241, 800cfm) and it ran like a top, no other changes.

86rocket

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2017
Maybe it doesn't mean much, but I attached a pic of my edelbrock, I machined off the choke horn and smoothed it into the bores, I was originally going to use it to try out a blow through set up on a ford a while back. It's jetted quite a bit richer than stock, the car seems to rip with it on there. I'll have to try to find an olds q jet to rebuild I like the more factory parts anyway. Anyone have any experience getting a t5 to live behind a bop engine? I hear all the stories about broken this and that but I've also beard of people in the 11's with them.

Attachments

• 20171108_125703.jpg
    20171108_125703.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 144
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It's gotta be olds specific. You'll know by looking up the #s. BOP, Chevy, Caddy, and Mopar (yes, mopar used them) are ALL different from make, model, year, application, california, canada, etc. Your old qjet was probably fine, but it was a Chevy qjet. Calibrated for a chevy. I ran a brand new rebuilt chevy qjet on my Buick 350 and it ran like dog sh*t, but ran 110% on my neighbors Chevy 350 monte. On my engine it wouldn't idle, would sputter, etc. no matter what I did to it. I then rebuilt one for a Buick 350 (17058241, 800cfm) and it ran like a top, no other changes.
Absolutely, they are alk different. My old boss used swap Olds calibrated carbs on his chevies to gain mileage. Like I said the 403 carb Iinked, especially if the APT is made adjustable will be close in the part throttle setting. Plus if the secondary door is opened for a full 800 cfm, it make a nice difference. It should be close on hanger and rod combo. The big problem is the higher compression ratio and bigger cam. Mine ran awful just going that 1.6 to 1 higher compression and with 1.72 to 1 roller rockers, I kep the dinky little 204/214 cam. Those #6 heads crossovers were filled, which probably didn't help, needing even more fuel.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
For me, I need a stick shift in my hobby car/hot rod. I have a built 4L65E in my daily with a high stall. It's great and I wouldn't want to drive a stick on my daily commute but to me a stick is much more fun and much cooler.

I'm not sure if a T5 would live behind that kind of torque, especially if you are going to dump the clutch and if it will hook up. I'm putting one in my car but it is a cruiser. If you want to race and you want a stick, just do it once and do it right IMO and go with the TKO. Overdrive is a must for highway driving unless if you are going to run 2.73 or higher in the rear, IMO, or it just isn't fun to drive.

Couldn't agree more with the other fellas regarding the Quadrajet. Check this guy out. He built mine custom for my setup. He probably has the right core for you. He is in the Texas hill country. Great guy....

https://www.quadrajetpower.com

Last edited:
  • Agree

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Looking @ your 1/4 mi data things don't add up. That 2.43 ratio isn't that bad my T400 is 2.48 - If your dumping the clutch @4500 and hooking the engine is falling on it's face. With a 14.3 ET your 60 ft should be 1.90. Your 98 mph says the engine is making 240 hp capable of running 13.90's (1.85 60s) Unless your smoking your tires to the 60ft I'd be looking at tuning. Wide band tuning will tell the story.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

86rocket

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2017
The crappy 60' was on slicks too, it would just bog then pick up, I think my q jet was just not tuned at all right, the secondary air flap was opening too quick or something. Just with the edelbrock it's a world of difference how much more powerful it feels, I imagine with a well tuned q jet it would do much better.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I think you know where to focus before a transmissin swap;).

• Agree

86rocket

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2017
Seems that way haha, the old 4 speed sounds like the input shaft bearing is howling a bit so that's in need of attention too though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor