transmission drip!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. If your needle is jumpy, you'll need to lube your speedo cable. You'll have to remove the cable from the casing at the upper end to accomplish that.

Bill

Re-lubed my 82 and 73 they are nice and smooth and quiet now......

Ok next question, where do you think it would be comin from if there was dripping from the front of the pan, would it be most likely the transmission pan

I would try getting a filter kit from your local parts store. It should come with a new gasket filter, and the little paper gasket for your filter. I bought a Purolater one for 10 bucks. My trans was leaking when I wouldn't drive the car, and it was a very slow leak. So I just took a swing in the dark and replaced the filter and pan gasket and it definately doesn't leak like it used to (crosses fingers). I don't know if it's a proven fact but I think that the cork gaskets like to swell up when the car is rarely driven. At the dealership a customer comes in with a mint condition 84' Camaro with 20k on the odometer and has had at least 3 oil pan gaskets replaced because the owner just doesn't drive it.

It could be from your shifter seal on the left side. Mine was leeking and I resealed the pan 3 times. I did the shifter gasket once and rolled it did ti agai and the pan has been dry for 6 months now. The way the car site is where the drip will go. Mine went to the right sie and it looked like a trans line was doing it. They were always dry and it would leak overnight whether the car was run or not.

Hmm that seems like my problem... Do you have a picture of what it is? I have a column shifter if that makes a difference.

01cherryreds10 said:
I would try getting a filter kit from your local parts store. It should come with a new gasket filter, and the little paper gasket for your filter. I bought a Purolater one for 10 bucks. My trans was leaking when I wouldn't drive the car, and it was a very slow leak. So I just took a swing in the dark and replaced the filter and pan gasket and it definately doesn't leak like it used to (crosses fingers). I don't know if it's a proven fact but I think that the cork gaskets like to swell up when the car is rarely driven. At the dealership a customer comes in with a mint condition 84' Camaro with 20k on the odometer and has had at least 3 oil pan gaskets replaced because the owner just doesn't drive it.
very true, before i purchased my monte it sat for over a year...i will have to get my hands dirty and actually get under there and check it out

ok i replaced my transmission pan gasket and decided to do the filter also,but my transmission still has a drip and i def know its comin from the front, cant figure out what it is, buddy says input shaft but i wanted to get a second opinion or some suggestions before a concurred, thanks!!!

Hate to keep doing this to you, but after I replaced my trans pan gasket and filter, it still leaked 😳 . I went ahead and replaced the trans dipstick tube seal, the top hat style, and it doesn't appear to be leaking anymore. I hate dealing with the trans leaks because it leaks around the whole trans, so it could be 1 leak you are looking for but everything is wet, or it could be 4 things leaking and everything is wet. Ugh. Good luck let us know what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor