Transmission help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Sorry mind racing with a million things...how long does the cable have to be or does it matter?
That I don't know. I have a column shift car and a manual car so I don't have a reference.

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
Check your linkage at the firewall for binding and check if the shift lever on the transmission is missing a plastic bushing that the shift rod slips into. If you don't see anything mechanically wrong then lubricate all moving parts and lubricate your shift cable at both ends with a light oil.
I can post a pic tomorrow if it helps as to what I mean....

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
That I don't know. I have a column shift car and a manual car so I don't have a reference.
Oh okay thank you... Like to say appreciate your help just want to get my Cutlass back on the road... Maybe transmission going out.... What changing the fluid supposed to be in park or neutral...

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Oh okay thank you... Like to say appreciate your help just want to get my Cutlass back on the road... Maybe transmission going out.... What changing the fluid supposed to be in park or neutral...

There is a good chance that the transmission is alright. It sounds like the cable may be holding the lever between detents and sending fluid to places it shouldn't.

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
There is a good chance that the transmission is alright. It sounds like the cable may be holding the lever between detents and sending fluid to places it shouldn't.
Okay sounds like music to my ears..... so what are some things I can do to see if I can get it going again

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
Okay sounds like music to my ears..... so what are some things I can do to see if I can get it going again

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Check that everything on the transmission linkage is free and lubed. Check for anything that just doesn't look right like bent stuff or a frayed cable.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Some good pics might help.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
Well I think I solved my problem to shifter getting stuck it was the arm that's supposed to go into the firewall linkage since it was never connected kept getting stuck on the frame now I don't know if in fact it's supposed to be connected at by firewall since I did connect it and wouldn't budge past reverse or whatnot so able to shift without getting stuck...i hope... I'd like to thank everyone that responded I appreciate the help... Now if I can get some reverse lights working....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor