transmission linkage adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
I have a 87 olds cutlass supreme with a transplanted bop th350 transmission. I'm having a problem with finding drive are reverse without moving the column shifter up and down searching for it. not sure of the car original transmission, it can with a v6. will the 350 and 200 transmission swap without any different part. I'm thinking its a adjustment issue. I call a couple transmission shop trying to make and appointment they all say their to busy to take on small job like mine. I thought I would do a little research just in case I need a part or something they cant get without waiting a week once I do get it in the shop.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Without being there, it's tough to make a call. This much is true, NON-console, column shift 78-88 A/G Oldsmobiles (and probably others) with 3 speed auto trans all used the same transmission link at the transmission. GM P/N 10021792.

It does sound like an adjustment issue from what you describe. First, I'd get the car safe and stable where you can get under it (jackstands, lift, etc.) then put it in neutral at the column. Then I would check to see the linkage is all intact and there (check bushings too as if the column bushing is worn out, you'll have major linkage slop). Replace the bushings if needed. Make sure the transmission lever at the transmission is in the neutral position. If not, loosen the adjusting bolt near the end of the down rod from the column. Don't remove it, just loosen it. Then put the transmission lever into neutral by hand. Tighten down rod bolt. Now place the transmission in park and see if it goes there. Select all the gears and see how the transmission lever aligns. If it's still off, then something else is the problem.

With a column shift and 83/84 H/Os, there's also an indicator on the instrument panel to show you which gear you should be in. This has no brain or anything to do with any of it, it's just an indicator. If you find you're in neutral and it's showing "R", then you need to adjust the indicator. If everything is still there and working, there's a friction clip on the bottom of the shifter bowl (take the vent panel off under the dash below the steering column to access it) that can be adjusted one way or another to show you the gear you should be in.

If that all works and you're satisfied with it, then check your reverse light switch on the lower top of the steering column. If it needs adjusting so the reverse lights come on in reverse, then do that.

There is no "neutral safety switch" on G-bodies. It's built into the column. This is why it's so important to get things adjusted right. Because if the COLUMN thinks it's in Park or Neutral, it doesn't matter what the transmission is doing, so it may or may not start when in gear.

I'll post a couple pics in a minute...

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Mechanical block for steering column

Neutral Mechanical Start Blocking G-body.JPG

Reverse light switch- will likely need to drop the 4 bolts holding up the steering column to get to this as it's on top of the column near the firewall. If you do drop the column, ENSURE you remove the clip for the shift indicator from the column first. MANY indicator cables have been busted because people just let the column fall and that little cord won't hold the column weight. It'll say "Oh, SNAP!" and then do just that.
Reverse Switch Column Adjustment.JPG

Shift indicator adjustment-
Dash Shift Indicator Adjustment Procedure.JPG

Last edited:
  • Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016

View attachment 175316 t

Reverse light switch- will likely need to drop the 4 bolts holding up the steering column to get to this as it's on top of the column near the firewall. If you do drop the column, ENSURE you remove the clip for the shift indicator from the column first. MANY indicator cables have been busted because people just let the column fall and that little cord won't hold the column weight. It'll say "Oh, SNAP!" and then do just that.
View attachment 175317

View attachment 175318
Thanks for your feedback. after looking at the picture that has the shift level guild clip I'm not sure if mine is lined up, are hooked correctly. with my original post I didn't mentioned that I removed the dash completely to restore it. I do remember seeing that clip but I didn't no what it was for until seeing this picture. I will go back into the dash and make sure where its attached on the edge of the shifter bowl.
I also eliminated the computer, don't no how that plays into my problem. I'm sure their will be other things that I will address because of the computer was remove.

Is there a mark on the shifter bowl that shows where to place the neutral clip. as you might have gather I'm not a mechanic just a grease monkey trying to learn how to work on his own car.

So once more, thanks again for the feedback its very helpful and if there is any other advice please feel free. you guys are the greatest. SO CLOSE TO GETTING THIS CAR FINISHED!

View attachment 175316

View attachment 175317

View attachment 175318
Thanks for your feedback. after looking at the picture that has the shift level guild clip I'm not sure if mine is lined up, are hooked correctly. with my original post I didn't mentioned that I removed the dash completely to restore it. when reinstalling the dash I do remember seeing that clip but at the time I didn't no where it when until seeing this picture. I will go back into the dash and make sure its attached on the edge of the shifter bowl.
I also eliminated the computer, don't know how that plays into my problem. I'm sure their will be other things that I will address because of the computer was removed.

Is there a mark on the shifter bowl that shows where to place the neutral clip. as you might have gather I'm not a mechanic just a grease monkey trying to learn how to work on his own car.

So once more, thanks again for the feedback its very helpful and if there is any other advice please feel free. you guys are the greatest. SO CLOSE TO GETTING THIS CAR FINISHED!

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Without being there, it's tough to make a call. This much is true, NON-console, column shift 78-88 A/G Oldsmobiles (and probably others) with 3 speed auto trans all used the same transmission link at the transmission. GM P/N 10021792.

It does sound like an adjustment issue from what you describe. First, I'd get the car safe and stable where you can get under it (jackstands, lift, etc.) then put it in neutral at the column. Then I would check to see the linkage is all intact and there (check bushings too as if the column bushing is worn out, you'll have major linkage slop). Replace the bushings if needed. Make sure the transmission lever at the transmission is in the neutral position. If not, loosen the adjusting bolt near the end of the down rod from the column. Don't remove it, just loosen it. Then put the transmission lever into neutral by hand. Tighten down rod bolt. Now place the transmission in park and see if it goes there. Select all the gears and see how the transmission lever aligns. If it's still off, then something else is the problem.

With a column shift and 83/84 H/Os, there's also an indicator on the instrument panel to show you which gear you should be in. This has no brain or anything to do with any of it, it's just an indicator. If you find you're in neutral and it's showing "R", then you need to adjust the indicator. If everything is still there and working, there's a friction clip on the bottom of the shifter bowl (take the vent panel off under the dash below the steering column to access it) that can be adjusted one way or another to show you the gear you should be in.

I figure this procedure should be the same for my 4l60e swap. I bought a 2004R linkage from eBay; it came with a frame mount bracket that is apparently identical to the one installed on the car, but the upper and lower shift linkages are indeed different from the 3-speed linkages that came with the car for the TH250. I will put the trans in neutral, move the column shifter to the 3rd detent (P, R, ->N), put the linkages in the trans gear selector yoke with new bushings, cinch the set screw, and see if the shifter puts the trans in park. I'll leave it in park and check the reverse lights prior to initial startup. I'm expecting to have solid detent position for PRND; I don't know what to expect for 2, and L. Trans position indication will be provided by: https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=1222/mode=prod/prd1222.htm

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
  • Agree

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016

View attachment 175316

View attachment 175317

View attachment 175318

If that all works and you're satisfied with it, then check your reverse light switch on the lower top of the steering column. If it needs adjusting so the reverse lights come on in reverse, then do that.

There is no "neutral safety switch" on G-bodies. It's built into the column. This is why it's so important to get things adjusted right. Because if the COLUMN thinks it's in Park or Neutral, it doesn't matter what the transmission is doing, so it may or may not start when in gear.

I'll post a couple pics in a minute...
thanks for info. I had a friend look at my transmission and as you mention the linkage was a little sloppy and the bushing that holds the equalizer arm needs replacing so if you are any member has a part number for the bushing or where I can find a replacement I would appreciate it. and I check the column for the clip its there but the wires aren't connected to anything. do you have a picture are detail on where to reconnect them.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It may sound hokey, but you can replace that bushing with an open end, conical seat lug nut.
It is hokey. When you can get the right sacrificial bushing, don't use a lug nut unless it's an emergency. There's enough parts that aren't made any more that people wish they could get.

Cross shaft bushing is GM part number 1377083 or equivalent aftermarket. Apparently from real-world testing, it takes roughly about 35 years or so for it to wear out.

Only a lug nut would use a lug nut. :) If you care about your car, fix it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor