Transmission, no go

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were 345 ft/lbs stock. So a tune and exhaust might push awful close to 400 ft/lbs.
That is right, 300 was the HP rating on the LT-1.
Maybe I should have opted for the billet drum, but that’s another $375.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
How much power are you making? The dreaded forward drum fails a lot above 400 ft/lbs.
will the car move at all with a broken drum? I had a 700r4 that hit second pretty hard all the time , then it failed after a shift to second, it still moved but real slow if I gave it lots of RPM's. Just want to know if its toast or maybe something else.

will the car move at all with a broken drum? I had a 700r4 that hit second pretty hard all the time , then it failed after a shift to second, it still moved but real slow if I gave it lots of RPM's. Just want to know if its toast or maybe something else.
Mine did not move at all.

slow 442

Greasemonkey
Jan 16, 2014
I have a off topic question about the rims. What size and who made them? I'm looking for something similar for my 442.
Thanks

I have a off topic question about the rims. What size and who made them? I'm looking for something similar for my 442.
Thanks
They are from Coys Wheels, I think they are called 67s? 17x8f and17x9r, and I have to run a 1” spacer in back. I painted the gold, they were argent when I got them.

Hey, I got it running again last night! I just ran it for a short time to push the fluid through, I put about 10qt in before I fired it up. I also run it in reverse and first at idle for a bit.
I had struggled with the TV cable, apparently I didn’t have it right the last time I put it in. I had both settings but didn’t realize that a WOT pull reset it. Per Extreme’s instructions, the TV needs to bottom the plunger at WOT and rest at 0.840” I got mine to rest at 0.843 this time. I had to move the stud on the throttle linkage.
C7944248-1837-4D7E-B7C4-41E65227B955.jpeg
image.jpg

Another update, I got the transmission back in and drove it uptown for our community picnic cruise in.
However, I couldn’t get the pressure I needed or expected. I only had 190psi in 1 and 2, needs to be 250+. I called Lonnie back and he feels it’s the pump. Bummer! But he’s going to stand behind it. He told me I could drive it down and they could swap the pump while I wait, or I could pull it and he’d throw me some money for my time. I asked if I could get a deal on the billet front drum that I should have had them do in the first place, and he said he’d treat me right. Sweet!
So I pulled it out again and it’s heading back. As long as I can get it back on the road for Woodward in August, I’m happy.

Reactions: 3 users
On the bright side I got to spend some quality wrench time with my son, he’s 11.
C872B700-9AFA-4CD8-98EB-E16CE63231B6.jpeg
37A469E6-C556-48D8-9C29-43D0A2C8A343.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I had the same issue with the last 2004R. It is probably a clearance issue in the pump. I bandaided it with a .550" boost valve and stiffer spring, brought it up to 220 psi in first and second. Just another example of how finicky the 2004R is.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor