Transmission, no go

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was out hotrodding my 442 tonight, and was shifting manually because it’s fun!!
When I went into third my engine revved to redline immediately, no noise from the trans that I recall, it just lost momentum. It doesn’t move in reverse or any forward gears anymore. It does go into park and hold the vehicle.
I’ve been planning on replacing the torque converter sometime as the lockup clutch is toast. I’ve drained the fluid twice since the clutch went out and the fluid has been clean (DexVI) . I have noticed a slight shudder as I first start moving, been doing that for a while now. I have trans temp and pressure gauges in the car and the other day I noticed the pressure was higher than normal, about a mile into my trip it read almost 200psi. But after a few more shifts it was back to where it usually runs about 100psi. It still shows 100 psi while running. I know this seems low, but it’s where it always reads, and when I installed the trans I had a different gauge that showed about 170 IIRC. This has an electric sending unit, the other was a fluid gauge.
It’s good to have a friend in the towing business, 25 minutes from home only cost me $60.
325CA2DD-6292-44E1-81F7-FE8E75FE8E96.jpeg
708A9365-6F6A-48E3-85BE-82E96A85C8BC.jpeg

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I’ve been planning on replacing the torque converter sometime as the lockup clutch is toast.

Nice looking 86' 442! makes me wish I had purchased the Lauren Engineering front air dam when they were available.

Question: have you verified that your transmission is getting the 12V lock up signal? How do you know or suspect that the clutch is toast?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Nice looking 86' 442! makes me wish I had purchased the Lauren Engineering front air dam when they were available.

Question: have you verified that your transmission is getting the 12V lock up signal? How do you know or suspect that the clutch is toast?
Agree, that air dam really nicely finishes off the car. How much power does your car put out? It could be the forward drum or the sun shell.

Thanks guys!
I have verified the 12v, even replaced the solenoid when I was nearly certain that the original one was still good. I have the clutch on a switch, I left it on coming to a stop, It didn’t lug the motor down and I forgot it was on. It screamed when it hit third hear.
The first time I dropped the pan there was remnants of the clutch, but none since, I checked twice. I guess I should have mentioned that, Oops!
The shudder at first movement is what makes me think it’s in the converter. Possibly the one-way bearing?
I had the trans built by Extreme Automatics in Cincy and installed an Edge Racing converter supplied by them . He no longer sells them, also leading me to think that it’s the culprit. I need to call him.
Would the drum or sun shell make noise if they broke? Even the shudder didn’t come with any sounds.
I doubt it makes over 300hp, should be plenty of trans for it. I think he claims it would hold 450hp.

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Thanks guys!
I have verified the 12v, even replaced the solenoid when I was nearly certain that the original one was still good. I have the clutch on a switch, I left it on coming to a stop, It didn’t lug the motor down and I forgot it was on. It screamed when it hit third hear.
The first time I dropped the pan there was remnants of the clutch, but none since, I checked twice. I guess I should have mentioned that, Oops!
The shudder at first movement is what makes me think it’s in the converter. Possibly the one-way bearing?
I had the trans built by Extreme Automatics in Cincy and installed an Edge Racing converter supplied by them . He no longer sells them, also leading me to think that it’s the culprit. I need to call him.
Would the drum or sun shell make noise if they broke? Even the shudder didn’t come with any sounds.
I doubt it makes over 300hp, should be plenty of trans for it. I think he claims it would hold 450hp.

Lonnie at Extreme Automatics has a good reputation and can build a good 200 4R. Based on the info you provided it is plausible that the converter is toast. The problem is now that all that junk is in your transmission.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That's a sweet 442, make sure you clean the lines and transmission cooler just in case there is some debris from your broken transmission

Reactions: 1 user
We’re about to find out if there’s shrapnel in the pan.
7F70E613-0F1C-472D-A85B-DFD191A8422F.jpeg

Hmm. Good news?

image.jpg

Just wondering, anyone think this fitting at my sending unit could cause my gauge to read low? Without it the sending unit would hit the tunnel.

image.jpg

bob_t442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 2, 2011
southwest florida
Sorry to hear about your carblem.

That fitting is similar to the 45-degree brass fitting used from the factory for the oil pressure transducer on U21 Gauge Package cars like my '71 4-4-2 and current '85 4-4-2. If you're leery of it's viability, why not remove the fitting and confirm that the passage through the fitting from both sides presents no restriction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor