Tried to start engine for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

robnoxiousauto

Apprentice
Jun 28, 2008
Victoria B.C. Canada
yes there is , oldsmobile engines are adjustable as well in the same manner as ford chrylser etc.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I did the cam timing again and tried to start it up and nothing again. It really does not seem like it is getting any fuel. I pulled a couple plugs after cranking it for a little and they smelled nothing like gas and looked really dry. Could the backfiring have damaged the carb? And it did make some popping noises but it seemmed like it was coming out the exhaust.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I forgot to mention that the popping noises would only happen when I pumped the throttle to get it to squirt some fule in there.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
what kind of carb is it? if you look down the primary bores and push the throttle all the way open, do you see any fuel squirt in from the accelerator pump?

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
dump some gas down the carb and see if it fires.

#1 Fuel
#2 Spark
#3 Timing

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
It is a Holley carb. When I push the throttle I do see fuel squirting from the pump. It is getting spark. I am pretty sure I got the timing right this time, I made sure it was on the compression stroke this time and the dist. was pretty close to #1 cyl on tdc.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
are the throttle blades and choke closed?

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
The throttle blades were closed. I am not sure about the choke. There is a plate on the top of the primary side that is open usually, after I try to crank it over for a while I noticed it would close. Is that the choke?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
that sounds like the choke. make sure that it's adjusted to fully closed before cranking the engine. if it's electric it should slowly open with the key on.

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
The choke shouldn't start to open until the engine is actually started and remains running, as the power to the choke heater comes from a switch that closes when the engine develops oil pressure. But, it should be closed all the way when the engine is started cold.

Safer than gas, spray a little Gumout carb cleaner down the carb before cranking it. Even if the fuel pump is dead and there is no gas in the float bowl, the engine should start right up and run for a few seconds off the Gumout. This will tell you if it's a fuel or ignition/timing related issue.

-UT-

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor