Tried to start engine for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Your power valve in the carb probably needs replacement. That happens to Holleys when they backfire out the carb. Unless it has the blow-proof power valve.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Thats kinda what I figured. Is there a way to diagnose if the power valve is bad? Will that prevent fuel from going into engine? From what I know about carbed engines when you crank them over for a long time the engine will flood and you will at least smell gas on the plugs, which I cant see any thing showing fuel is getting into the cylinder. I also noticed that the clear fuel filter does not appear to be getting filled completly, I see a little at the bottom of the filter, but the filter is wet. I did check to see if the fuel pump was working by pumping some into a cup and it was working.

robnoxiousauto

Apprentice
Jun 28, 2008
Victoria B.C. Canada
. here goes first off the power valve has nothing to do with initial start up. The power valve is used for enrichment during throttle application after the accelerator pump is done it's squirt. Now the no start. When the timing marks on the cam sprocket are pointing down and ligned up with the crank shaft if you drop in the dist with the rotor pointed @ #1 you will be 180 out. I suspect this is you're problem I suggest using the old fingre trick stick you finger in the # 1 spark plug whole now click the motor over.. When you're finger gets pushed off congatulations this is compression stroke #1 cylinder now drop the dist in so that the rotor is pointed @ #1 plug wire second ensure that you know what direction the rotor turns. I have seen people put the firing order going the wrong direction. Good luck

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Why am I getting no indication of fuel getting into the cylinders?

If u think u r not getting fuel to the cyl., thy popping off one of the v. covers and see if the rockers are moving. But make sure u disconnect the plositive for the coil so it will not fire up. If u do not u will have a nice sized mess.

Also check to make sure u r getting power to the positive wire and it is all the way home on the cap.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Yes the rockers are moving. I think what I am doing next is making sure the dist. is in right and using a spark tester to see if the spark is strong enough. I will also make sure the fuel pump is operating the way it should be. Lets hope this works!! 8)

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I was playing with it a little more today. Sometimes it would backfire out of the carb. I moved the distributor a little bit and it seemed like it would try to start and I could see some smoke coming out of the headers. Is that a good sign? I was also wondering if the clear fuel filter is supposed to fill up completely?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
my filter always seems to have a small air bubble in it since it doesn't sit vertical.
backfires usually mean a lean condition or over advanced timing. try turning the dist a little more clockwise (retardingthe timing) and see what happens. i'd actually move it about 10-15 degress then advance it if necessary. timing that's too retarded is not bad, but over-advanced can damage things. have a timing light set up so that if it fires you can set the timing.
sorry the timing directions i gave are for a chevy, not sure if olds is the same.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
What can over advanced timing damage?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
with the piston traveling up and the pressure wave of the fuel igniting slamming into each other you severly compress the piston, rods, bearings, and can flex the crank. if it's advanced enough and it ignites with an open intake valve (backfire) you fry the valve and guide and can damage the carb, especially a holley with the power valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor