Truck 350?

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys.

My girlfriend/ex-girlfriends brother has a 90's full-size GMC truck. It has the 350 engine with the 4 speed auto. Could this engine be used in my 85 GP at all? Or would it be way too extensive to work with it? It's so mad cheap, and I really want a 350. lol.

:wink:

dexter047

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 16, 2005
raleigh, nc
As long as it is 2WD and not 4WD you should be able to use the transmission. It's probably a 700-R4. You cannot use the rear, not bolt in anyway. If you had it narrowed or lengthened as needed and the mounting tabs welded in the correct locations it would work, but it is not worth it for a stock truck rear end. I would go ahead and use the TBI set up that is on the truck engine. It is a very simple and reliable form of fuel injection. You will need to swap your fuel sending unit and add a in tank pump to handle the needed PSI, you can use a GN pump and sending unit.Just make sure you get the Harness and ECU out of the truck.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
What kind of power would it make with that stock V6 rear end? It's some really slow rear end. But I'm sure that 350 has a bunch more torque, especially since it's for a truck. Any idea on the power of those truck 350's like that? I was trying to find out but had no luck. and would I be able to go to carb on the 350 from a conversion? I love the carb sound, plus, i'll need to go over the engine anyway. It has a few miles on it. but it also has a nice Summit dual exhaust on it. I'd try to fabricate that to the GP somehow. It sounds pretty good. Sounds like some Flows. but are those pretty solid engines? I mean, I know 350's are good, but the truck ones? Could I modify it with normal 350 internals and stuff just like it's any other 350? I'm sorry, I just want to do this right. It's a pretty damn good deal, but I don't want to go through the expense of buying it and trying to do all of this if it'll be much easier to just buy a block to begin with. I did recently get an engine stand though! Hint hint!

:wink: 8)

Edit: Also, I'm almost positive the truck is a 4WD type deal. So in that case, can I use my factory 3 speed GP one? I'm not a big fan of 3 speeds, on the highway it'd kill me, but I'll do what i have to until I can get a 4. What is even the possibility of a auto to manual swap? I mean, with a 350 and 3 gears, I'd be bogging everywhere. But oh god, it'd make so much noise. Always in gear. lol. Glasspack time!
:p :roll:

dexter047

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 16, 2005
raleigh, nc
The internals are the same as any other small block 350, aside from possibly compression ratio. The big difference will be in the heads, truck heads are pretty lowsy unless they are Vortec. If you are going to tear down the motor anyway I would suggest that, you would need a different intake though. Also the engine mounts are different on truck engines then for cars. As far as the "sound of a carb", they don't make noise. Any sound you will get will come from the exhaust. You could do a manual conversion if you can find the parts, or use a hydraulic clutch. It most likely woud not be a bolt in deal. If you want a different rear end get a used GN rear, or get a carrier and gears for yours and swap out the gears.

SV6 REGAL

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2006
Ont Canada
averagewhiteboy said:
What kind of power would it make with that stock V6 rear end? It's some really slow rear end. But I'm sure that 350 has a bunch more torque, especially since it's for a truck. Any idea on the power of those truck 350's like that? I was trying to find out but had no luck. and would I be able to go to carb on the 350 from a conversion? I love the carb sound, plus, i'll need to go over the engine anyway. It has a few miles on it. but it also has a nice Summit dual exhaust on it. I'd try to fabricate that to the GP somehow. It sounds pretty good. Sounds like some Flows. but are those pretty solid engines? I mean, I know 350's are good, but the truck ones? Could I modify it with normal 350 internals and stuff just like it's any other 350? I'm sorry, I just want to do this right. It's a pretty damn good deal, but I don't want to go through the expense of buying it and trying to do all of this if it'll be much easier to just buy a block to begin with. I did recently get an engine stand though! Hint hint!

:wink: 8)

Edit: Also, I'm almost positive the truck is a 4WD type deal. So in that case, can I use my factory 3 speed GP one? I'm not a big fan of 3 speeds, on the highway it'd kill me, but I'll do what i have to until I can get a 4. What is even the possibility of a auto to manual swap? I mean, with a 350 and 3 gears, I'd be bogging everywhere. But oh god, it'd make so much noise. Always in gear. lol. Glasspack time!
:p :roll:

It might have around 200-210hp depending on the year and around 300ft pounds of torque.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
The early 90's Truck 350's had 190HP. They used TBI (Throtle Body Injection) to swap it over to a carb would be easier... and you'll just have to get an older generation intake manifold. It will be a fairly solid motor. They were mostly 2-bolt, cast cranks with 194 heads. Nothing high performance, but it will be a huge improvment from the 231! As far as the transmission goes if its a 4x4 It might not work. The factory TH-200 that you have in your GP currently will not bolt up to the SBC motor. I'd recommend getting a mildly built TH-350 or TH-2004R if you want a 4spd. The rearend out of the truck will be a 8.5" 10 Bolt but it wont fit into your Gbody. It'll take a lot more custom fab then its worth. I'd build up or 7.5" that you have, or get a 8.5" out of a GN. They typically go for $800 if they are in good working order. You can get a 350 block anywhere, and build it up yourself. If all your going to be using is the block I'd recommend just finding one that you can build up yourself. Then you dont have to deal with the truck. If you cant use the trans, and rearend its not much use! :?

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Here's the situation though... It's like 400 bucks. lol. It has a feww miles on it though, but I wanted to convert it back to carb and build it up anyway. So I wasn't too worried. Plus, there's a nice dua lexhaust on the truck that I was gonna hack up and use too. The truck also has some aftermarket wheels and tires that I could sell as well. I was gonna use whatever I could, sell the rest, then just junk the body. I think it'd be a neat thought. Any other insight guys?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
since you want to use alot of parts from the truck it might be easier to remove the truck body and drop the GP body on the truck's frame.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor