Trying to decide on wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
215/65/15 is the factory size for these cars with 15" wheels i believe. on my car it sits on hotchkis lowering springs and the 215/65 clears just fine. additionally it would be best to run those 255/60/15 out back on 15x8 rallys.

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
So I ordered my 2 front wheels from summit- , they will be in tomorrow. I ordered front tires- 215/60-15 Falken FP7000's for $125 and I just bought a pair of 235/60-15 Mastercraft Avengers for the rear for $201

By the weekend I should have rims painted, tires mounted, and maybe the front of the car lowered.

Skitter302

Apprentice
Jan 20, 2014
USA, WA
Nice! Can't wait to see some pixels of the new wheels mounted.

Going through this thread made me look around on the different tire sites to find some nice wheels for my Cutlass

Hurst Dazzler 15x7
hrst_dazzler15x7_mga_ci3_l.jpg

They look really cool.

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
Skitter302 said:
Nice! Can't wait to see some pixels of the new wheels mounted.

Going through this thread made me look around on the different tire sites to find some nice wheels for my Cutlass

Hurst Dazzler 15x7
hrst_dazzler15x7_mga_ci3_l.jpg

They look really cool.

Those. Are. Beautiful. :popcorn:

my car doesnt deserve wheels that nice yet. those would look fantastic on a white car :)

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
Christmas in June!!

My rear tires: Mastercraft Avenger GT 235/60-15 $201 from a local tire shop I have done business with forever

photo1_zps595f1a5d.jpg

photo2_zps6021e38a.jpg

My front tires showed up at work today: Falken (Ohtsu) FP7000 215/60-15 from Ebay $125 shipped - tread depth on these is insane!

photo1_zps63538676.jpg

photo2_zps06d45d38.jpg

photo5_zps73c730a0.jpg

And my wheels showed up at work today too- $103 shipped from summit- I went with the unilugs because I was impatient- the single bolt pattern ones were two weeks out, and knowing my tires would be here today, I couldn't wait.

photo3_zps93009971.jpg

photo4_zps3c438ab1.jpg

photo3_zpsb4db9f78.jpg

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
GT_80 said:
Christmas in June!!

My rear tires: Mastercraft Avenger GT 235/60-15 $201 from a local tire shop I have done business with forever

[ My front tires showed up at work today: Falken (Ohtsu) FP7000 215/60-15 from Ebay $125 shipped - tread depth on these is insane!

why would you go with two different brands of tires on brand new wheels?

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
MrLightning said:
GT_80 said:
Christmas in June!!

[ My front tires showed up at work today: Falken (Ohtsu) FP7000 215/60-15 from Ebay $125 shipped - tread depth on these is insane!

why would you go with two different brands of tires on brand new wheels?

Mainly price. The front tires I bought first, and they don't make them in a 235/60-15. I was planning on running the 255/60-15 on my car now for a while, but they are mismatched brands and have some cuts in the sidewalls that scare me (I currently have 3 different brands of tires on my car). The Mastercrafts are made in a 215/60-15 as well, but I saved about $75 on tires buying the way I did. This is an ultimate budget build. And only my front wheels are new, not all 4. Plus I hate to admit, I kind of like tires that spin easy on the back so when I want to kick it sideways I can, and I like stickier tires in the front. It's not uncommon to have two different tires on a car- When your running blackwalls out, no one notices anyway.

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
i have the same mastercrafts on my monte, i want to say they are 255-60-15 but DAMN they surprising hold the road well for a fairly inexpensive tire, and still let you toss the *ss end around when you want... higher speeds they stick well, good on highways... and they hold up well, i tend to show off ALOT for the kids, anytime i see a kid checking out my car and the flames, if there is no one behind me, i'll smoke the tires... they always get a kick outta that... i wanted to paint my car black to get rid of the chevy orange and purple flames, but seeing all the little kids smiling and pointing out my car to their parents, makes me not want to take that from them with boring black... you should like the mastercrafts, i was unsure of them at first because of the lower price tag, but they have proven themselves... a little slippery on launches, even after warmed, but then again they arent made for the dragstrip...

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
BPTTONE420012 said:
i have the same mastercrafts on my monte, i want to say they are 255-60-15 but DAMN they surprising hold the road well for a fairly inexpensive tire, and still let you toss the *ss end around when you want... higher speeds they stick well, good on highways... and they hold up well, i tend to show off ALOT for the kids, anytime i see a kid checking out my car and the flames, if there is no one behind me, i'll smoke the tires... they always get a kick outta that... i wanted to paint my car black to get rid of the chevy orange and purple flames, but seeing all the little kids smiling and pointing out my car to their parents, makes me not want to take that from them with boring black... you should like the mastercrafts, i was unsure of them at first because of the lower price tag, but they have proven themselves... a little slippery on launches, even after warmed, but then again they arent made for the dragstrip...

I've had Mastercraft Avenger GT's on two other vehicles I've had, and I love hod they spin, and how long they last. I think they handle pretty well too

I had some setbacks on getting everything mounted up and on the car- I started cleaning the paint off the rear rims last week, and after 90 minutes, i got about half the paint off one wheel. So after I got my new front wheels, I decided to work on those first. Got them all sanded down, and sprayed, but left them outside overnight, and the dew made the paint hazy because it wasn't fully dried. So I let it dry 2 days, sanded it and repainted it, and it wrinkled horribly. So I decided to use aircraft stripper on all 4 wheels. Took three of them down to bare steel, and the last one had a little paint left that I sanded most of it off. Got the last wheel all primed, and put the last coat of paint on it, and I had it on a Crate, and the crate flipped over on my lawn and got all kinds of grass in the nice soft paint. Damnit... So I need to sand and repaint that last wheel again. Well, at least I will get three done this weekend.

On the plus side, went to visit a friend last night and he egged me on to do a small, well large burnout... Those highway gears and old hard 255/60's I have on the back left over 150 ft of posi in 1st gear skating nicely along. I love this car :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor