Turboed Chevy 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

New3ra

Apprentice
Feb 5, 2008
Now dont knock me for this but im in highschool and what some low budget boost. I dont have the time or money to swap in a 350 nor do I wanna pay the extra gas. But I was thinking of doing a simple single turbo nothing big. I dont know alot about them but do I have to use a intercooler? anyone here done anything involving turbos. I just want a simple turbo setup, I know im going to have to buy or build a blowthrough carb as I have read into that. What else will I have to majorly do>?>

what else? new cam, pistons, rings, rods, carb/efi, boost controller/wastegate, exhaust manifolds, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump...,

is it cheap?--no is it easy?---no is it cool?---hell yeah

"if it was cheap and easy, we'd all do it...like your mom!" (anyone know where that quotes from? i can almost picture the movie but..)

time and money wise i'd say, read the hot rod? issue where they worked over a 305 and do what you can. just putting in a true-dual exhaust and headers frees up alot of power. throw on a decent intake and cam and you'll be somewhere around 250-300hp i think

yeah right now the car still has the cat on it (ew) and manifolds, but I just bought a edelbrock 650 carb, perfomer intake, all new gaskets, valve covers, breathers, air cleaner, and flo tech headers.

should help a SUPER lot.

If you are looking for a really good kit, Banks (yeah the diesel guys) makes a great turbo kit for a 350, which can easily be made to work with a 305. Me and my dad started building a turbo'd 350 in 8th grade, on my budget. I worked my butt off every year, and finally finished it in 12th grade. We put it in our '67 Camaro and it is pushing 1100 hp. If you want a very rough estimate of how much i spent on the engine, transmission build up, and rear end i would say almost $14K. Granted we built it from the ground up and tuning it was very pricey...All this to say, a swap for a kid your age is ideal, unless you are loaded or invested good as a child

If you want some pics of the build up, id be glad to post them and just give you a glimpse of what you will be getting into

This is not a cheap or easy way to go. You would be limited to low boost because of the bottom end. Also, turbos and carbs are a very picky thing and it is easy to get the tuning wrong and break stuff. Plus, fabricating all of that tubing, getting a MSD BTM (or equivalent) for spark retard, the exhaust work, etc would likely run you several thousand dollars unless you REALLY know what you are doing. It's not an EFI import where you can get an inexpensive manifold and maybe a used T-25 turbo, some junkyard injectors and a SAFC. Even in that case you can still have issues if you max out the MAF, or if the ECU can't read a negative MAP sensor reading. As for fuel efficiency, there is no free lunch there either. You will be using more fuel any time you make more power unless you are getting that power due to an improvement in the combustion efficiency of the engine. More air means more fuel. Simple as that. My Cutlass is more fuel efficient around town with my 355 combo than it was with the 231 V6 because I planned it to be efficient, but I also manipulated all of the variables. If you just want it to be a little quicker, change the rear gearing. I got my whole axle from a V6 Regal 4 door with the optional high altitude gearing for $60. It made a HUGE difference. I went from a 2.41 to a 3.23 and it became both more fuel efficient and quicker. I also run a .67 OD 4th TH200 4R, so it steps it down to a 2.16:1 in 4th, making it a win-win situation.

If you really want to learn about this, try looking up how to read a compressor efficiency map so that you can pick an appropriately sized turbo. Remember that too small a turbo will cost you power because it becomes a restriction, not an asset. It will spool quickly down low, but that is not where you need help. A stock example of this is the VW 1.8t with the KO3 turbo. Lots of low end, but the compressor rapidly looses efficiency as the RPM's go up. In fact, if you have GT4 for the PS2, try playing that car and wathc the boost gauge and you will see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor