turbos for sbc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandprixpaul

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2011
Commerce township , mi
Just wondering if anyone is running a sbc 350 with a turbo on the cheep , maybe even a ebay unit im just lookjng for one single turbo i think i dont want to do twin cus of all room it will take .

I would love to run a small twin turbo setup, like 10-12 psi total. That would be so awesome :!:

i was thinking the same ebay twin setup is like 1200 not bad for headers inter cooler the works I was throwin around either like a sbc 400 or a lt1 carb with a blow thru cant beat it tho read up on the hybirds on car craft they put em to the test

be careful with the "ebay" turbos, you get what you pay for! i've seen plenty of issues with those cheap headers cracking and welds breaking along with the turbo having a ton of shaft play with hardly any miles on them... In my findings in the import world, many guys say to run away from them while others suggest breaking it in very gently, say run it at 2-3 psi for a few hundred miles.. best of luck.

Grandprixpaul said:
Just wondering if anyone is running a sbc 350 with a turbo on the cheep , maybe even a ebay unit im just lookjng for one single turbo i think i dont want to do twin cus of all room it will take .
stick with a borgWarner or turbonetics, or bullseye (s400 series) and youll do great

stick with getting one between the 75mm/76mm range, imho, youll spend more up front for the turbo but you will love it, if you are serious about all this, i may be able to get you a deal on a BRAND New turbo... whichever one you want... I have several friends with performance shops...

Nice to know right now its a future project after the body paint.,ive always had plans to go turbo,i seen a video on youtube of the ebay turbo looked like a good start, welds are not a issue for me just finished up that icar class but im not that big in the fab work thought that the ebay kit would be a good place to start . Thanks guys

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I've been away from the forum for awhile. Just thought I'd be a good person to chime in on this topic. I just finished my '86 SS a few weeks ago, and am getting ready to take her to the track within the next couple weeks. I turbo'd the stock 305.

The entire long block is stock, with the exception of a Summit 1103 cam. Its got a Edelbrock Torker intake, and a modified 1405 Edelbrock Carb. I've got ALOT of time and sweat into this car now, but my entire goal was to do this on a budget. I'm running a little Borg Warner 55mm turbo(acquired at a swap meet for $40), flipped exhaust manifolds off a 78 350 Nova, and I built the entire hotside myself with some pipe from Summit and a 110v Hobart mig. One piece of advice I would give is that whatever price you think you can build it for, add $500. lol The car is a junkyard build, but I didnt skimp on my fuel system, and I've got an Innovate wideband setup on it. I'm running an Inline Walbro 255 pump, and a Malory 4309 Regulator.

I started out non-intercooled on 6psi, and the car trapped 96mph(it didnt ET worth a damn because of the single trac rearend). Now I'm intercooled and running about 14-15psi, and it's got a posi and the stock 3.73's. I can say from experience that it is probably a low 13/high 12 second car the way it is now. And thats on little 205/65/15 street tires. The best part is, driving around town you'd never guess it was anything but a stock Monte SS. But when you get on it and it builds boost (which is pretty much instant with the small turbo I have) it will put smile on anyone's face. The sound alone is worth the hard work and $$ I've put into her. I took her on her first cruise last weekend, and put 60 miles on the clock round trip, in the 97*, sticky, st.louis summer air. The temps never got above 210, and she did wonderfully cruising down the River Road at 60mph with the stock overdrive trans 😀

Here's a few pics. Yep, she is ugly. I didn't do it for looks. I did it to see the looks on old timers faces when I pop the hood. :wtf: That alone is priceless. :wink: Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Group2.jpg

Cox1.jpg

IMAG0560.jpg

IMAG0686.jpg

IMAG0685.jpg

IMAG0684.jpg

This is the only picture I've taken since I did the front mount intercooler. Crappy pic, but you get the idea.

IMAG0687.jpg

DeboDaddy,

You sir are a true hot rodder. Using junkyard and swap meet parts to build power. Awesome ride.

Got any videos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor