HELP Turn signal indicators

ElcoBoy

n00b
Aug 7, 2023
Hello, I have a 78 el Camino and since I’ve had it I noticed that’s whenever I turn on the headlights or park lights the right turn signal indicator lights up. More recently both indicators will work on and off. All of the lights work perfectly fine, there just seems to be a problem with the instrument panel. Anyone have the same or similar problem, and can provide some insight?

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
84 Elco left indicator was staying on... spent some time tonite figuring it out. Ended up being a bad bulb in the back 1156, so I thought. The front ended up having a loose ground on the socket for the bulb(black wire on the outside). After jiggling the bulb around figured out the ground was loose. Got it plugged in tighter and the bulb in the socket just rite so the indicator isn't staying on and p/l and signal are both working.

Had the pass side only working with the signal and not the p/l so I crammed some copper wire in where the broken contact on the plug was and got it to work. Needless to say the appropriate fix is new plugs wired in to the harness.

The indicators are also finicky with not lighting up because of the gauge cluster. I.E. if the right turn indicator isn't lighting up I can press on the top of the instrument panel and it works. Check your grounds first and foremost then all connections, and even the flashers.

Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
It's always a bad ground connection. I forgot to reattach the ground to the tail lights once and accidentally started a disco.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor