Turn signal switch won't lock to right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Miller

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2018
alright tore it apart, replace the cam,which was fine. springs are there also. so tried it with everything apart and of course left turn is good. the right just wont make it over enough to light turn signal and lock in. however i can manually push the cam and lock it with no problem.

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
alright tore it apart, replace the cam,which was fine. springs are there also. so tried it with everything apart and of course left turn is good. the right just wont make it over enough to light turn signal and lock in. however i can manually push the cam and lock it with no problem.
Maybe you need an alignment. I had the same problem with my truck and a front end alignment took care of it.

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Can you post some pictures of how the cams are assembled in your column? Maybe they are not installed correctly, or something is out of place.

Reactions: 1 user

Michael Miller

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2018
Installed new can and new springs. Here is a pic

Attachments

• 20180317_212754.png
    20180317_212754.png
    470 KB · Views: 154

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I was going to post something earlier. First, with your wheels straight, the front end should be aligned with the "flat" on the steering gearbox input shaft "up" and not at an angle.

The flat being up should be the starting point for every alignment (and NOT the steering wheel being straight). The steering box needs this flat up to go straight and the shaft, column and canceling cam are all based on the flat being up when the wheels are straight.

People pull off and respline steering wheels wrong by accident or on purpose, but doing this can screw up the gearbox center and/or the turn signal cancelling.

Reactions: 1 users

HADA442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2017
I was going to post something earlier. First, with your wheels straight, the front end should be aligned with the "flat" on the steering gearbox input shaft "up" and not at an angle.

The flat being up should be the starting point for every alignment (and NOT the steering wheel being straight). The steering box needs this flat up to go straight and the shaft, column and canceling cam are all based on the flat being up when the wheels are straight.

People pull off and respline steering wheels wrong by accident or on purpose, but doing this can screw up the gearbox center and/or the turn signal cancelling.

Good advice! I'd say to check the coupler if the above-mentioned alignment is off. Unsurprisingly: Their longevity is far from ideal on post-'94 (or so) GM applications.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
sorry i was wrong about needing the springs. i watched your video, when activating to the right, it appears the turn signal stalk is hitting the top of the opening in the steering column. this is limiting your travel and not allowing your switch to lock in place. is it possible the pivot that the stalk mounts into is broken. it moves the proper distance down, but not up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor