Twin Turbo Regal idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
My thoughts on it is... With today's technology in turbos it does not make a lot of sense to run twins except for looks. One turbo is a lot easier to plumb. There are turbos that will do about anything you want to do. Some are not cheep though. If you have never done anything like this before? I would keep it as simple as possible and read, read, and reread. Good luck!
i have never tried my hand at forced induction of any kind do this would be a first. i realze I will need to read and research this. My thought on the twin turbo was to elimintae turbo lag but i do agree with simpler is better.

If it's a track car, why 5.3? An aluminum 6.2 would be better because there is no replacement for displacement. How big of turbos? That's your packaging (piping) nightmare. Little T3/4s with 2.5" pipe is no big deal, but twin 88s or bigger with 4" pipe put you in steamfitter skillset territory.
I am looking at the 5.3 becuase it readily available and I would rather use a iron block for this than an aluminum.

BoostedJROD

Apprentice
Jan 9, 2019
Turbo lag is a thing of the past with the newer turbo designs. Unless you try and run a ridiculously large frame turbo on small cid its not really an issue. Many have run twins and theres nothing wrong with it. But keep in mind it doubles the cost. The right cam and single turbo on 5.3 can yield really good results.. North of 700 at the tires with enough fuel to support it

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
Turbo lag is a thing of the past with the newer turbo designs. Unless you try and run a ridiculously large frame turbo on small cid its not really an issue. Many have run twins and theres nothing wrong with it. But keep in mind it doubles the cost. The right cam and single turbo on 5.3 can yield really good results.. North of 700 at the tires with enough fuel to support it
Thank you for that information. I was thinking around 850 for HP but I don’t want to get hung up on numbers. 700 would definitely get the car down the track.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Good info here. I'll likely stick to my plan of running twins. My Cutlass will be a street/show car and twins are aesthetically pleasing. Yeah, I know that means double this and double that, but I've wanted twins for a lonnnnng time and the LS I have is built and ready....
20190120_102013.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Kemper1976

Greasemonkey
Jul 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
Good morning,

I am already getting ahead of myself thinking about this but would a twin tyrbo 5.3 fit under the hood of a 82-87 Regal?

Check out this setup from CX Racing. It’s just the hotside minus turbos and wastegates. It would save you countless hours trying to fab everything for twins.

Yes, a DYI setup can be done for less $ but time and frustration is also worth something.

If you’re removing the heater box this kit (and basically all others) will fit without any problems. Had I not kept my HVAC setup I would’ve gone with twins instead of a larger single.

https://www.cxracing.com/header-man...ld-gm-chevrolet-g-body/MF-KIT-LS-TT-GBODY-SET

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor