Uh oh, progress of GNX-SS temporarily halted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
www.cprmotorsports.com
Sorry I havent been posting much as of late, ran into a problem with the engine in GNX-SS. head gasket was blown arond the #7 cylinder and so Ive had to tear it down to repair it. Luckily it didnt get into the oiling system. The combustion was actually leaking into the water jacket causing the coolant to over pressurize and overflow from the overflow tank. So, I ordered a set of head studs which came in today and a new top end gasket kit which I picked up at the local parts house. Have it all tore down, no warpage or anything so back together it goes. Also ordered the missing piece to my GNX-SS project, the bolt on Grand National hood scoop, which will be in next week. Also working on a couple of other little things too. Will get some engine pics up asap.

haha, dont worry, your not the only one whos struggling! your moving 1000x faster than me!

Every time I get some parts for my build I find another thing I didn't add on my list. My engine should've been in the car a month ago but it keeps prolonging itself ... :? :evil:

custom442 said:
Every time I get some parts for my build I find another thing I didn't add on my list. My engine should've been in the car a month ago but it keeps prolonging itself ... :? :evil:

lol, funny how that works huh?

I think the missing peice to your GNX-SS clone is not the hood scoop but a real engine!!!

You guys think a small block with heads and cam is badd *ss,youd piss yourself riding in a nice street/strip turbo Regal!

broke1 said:
I think the missing peice to your GNX-SS clone is not the hood scoop but a real engine!!!

You guys think a small block with heads and cam is badd *ss,youd piss yourself riding in a nice street/strip turbo Regal!

small blocks are cheaper :shrugs:

pm sent broke1. Please everyone, dont talk sh*t and tell me stuff that you think I dont know. Ive been around cars long enough to know that theres stuff out there bigger and badder. This car was built for MY pleasure and MY enjoyment. Please take that for what its worth. Just wanted a good looking ride to cruise the streets and go to some shows. Not trying to race anything. And thank you to all those who have and will still be supporting this build far into the future.

Yep still way ahead of me I still havn't pulled all the weeds out of my Olds yet :lol:

And yeah nothing wrong with a car running a small block. Its a good way to build CHEAP power for a car like these without breaking the bank on a turbo motor. Heck my old Camaro was running a 350 and pushing over 400 hp when put on a dyno, that is nothing to sneeze at.

I'm sure that I have driven some turbo cars that would make some around here crap their pants, but there is only so much power you can use on the street. Oh the cars I'm talking about are Porsche race cars, driven at least 6 different Porsche race cars with turbos that would blow the minds of most people around here I'm sure.

Another thing, turbo engines are WAY more complicated to build up correctly than a good ol' NA small block. For my build a small block will be going in and will do just fine.

Can't wait to see some finished pics and stats on your project.

broke1 said:

Yah,,, then at around 80,000 miles you need to do a total rebuild! Those motors don't last that long. That's what you get for pushing a 6 cylinder to output 8 cylinder power! I have well over 150,000 miles on my big block without a rebuild,,,,try that with a turbo 6 cylinder. Nice job Eddie!! keep doing what you're doing man! a six cylinder turbo doesn't stand a chance against a V8 on the highway! My brother owned 2 of them and he spent more time tinkering with them and threw more money at them then he did actually driving them,, they are a constant headache....they run hot, they run rich, the turbos spin bearings ...etc...etc...don't get me wrong...they make good quarter mile power and will really push you into the back seat but for longevity and reliability you can't beat a good running V8.

Im dumber for reading some of your posts.....

Expensive and needs a rebuild at 80k??NOT EVEN CLOSE.Who told you that lie?

They command a premium in price because they were the nicest,most luxurious,fastest,and lowest production G Body made besides prototypes and the the GNX.

Complicated???People in the 1800's used to think wiping there *ss with toilet paper was complicated.Its called PROGRESS.Everything under the hood only goes on 2 ways,right or wrong.They are no Volkswagon but they arent bad at all if you can read the shop manual

Small block cheaper????Starting form scratch,you are probably correct.Engine already in the car and running?No way.....Take 1 car with a mild 350(vortec heads,headers, exhaust,big cam exhaust,etc,WHAT MOST OF YOU CONSIDER BUILT) and 1 100% stock 87 Grand National.Mod both of them into the 11's and the GN will get you there for ALOT less money.Start with a stock 350 instead of the example I gave

Read on boys.....

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/recipes/foxrecipe.html

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/recipes/foxrecipe.html

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/recipes/Staged1.html

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/fe ... index.html

And there are PLENTY of other articles....

84GP455,I dont doubt what you are saying about your brothers car is true.After reading your remarks,I know why.....Not just any idiot can work on these cars.Alot of people THINK they are experts or GURUS but most are hacks.Im sure your bro fell into 1 of those categorys.

My 2 GN's are far from the fastest but I beleive they would put BUS lengths on anyone responding on this thread.....

Also,any G Body with the GN v6 seems to bring 2x the money if it were a similar v8 car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor