Uh oh, progress of GNX-SS temporarily halted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is NOT starting with a turbo 6 powered car to begin with! As a swap, it would be quite expensive to get all those used, 24 year old electronics parts (and wiring harnesses) to work well together in a swap application. As far as using a newer technology engine is concerned, I would put an LSX/6 speed swap in a G body before I would do a turbo 6 swap. I do not doubt the potential of the turbo 6, but I do not think it is a cost-effective swap into a more mundane car. I looked into it in 1996 when I did my car's swap, and decided the SBC was the best option. Also, a poorly maintained turbo 6 would likely need internal work at the kind of mileage a car of this age would normally have. The Buick 6's poor oil pump design is a well known issue, and back when these engines were common in the 90's, it was quite common for them to spin bearings due to lack of oil pressure caused by excessive timing cover wear. It may not have been as common in the turbo community due to the greater care most of these cars likely saw, but it is a common Buick V6 issue.

Also, turbo cars are quite pricey to buy. A serviceable example is usually around $10k, while a basic 2 door Regal is usually anywhere from free to $3500. A Chevy swap is VERY cheap too, and can be had for under $2,000 if you are lucky, know what you are doing and use used parts. Building an 11 second SBC G body is MUCH cheaper than building an 11 second Grand National when you factor in the purchase price of the car and all attending mods.

As for me, I am NOT a car snob. I really don't give a sh*t about heritage or correctness as long as something works from a technical standpoint. The purists can have their correctness, old technology and such. I prefer to combine whatever technologies I see fit to achieve the functionality I have planned.

broke1 said:
My 2 GN's are far from the fastest but I beleive they would put BUS lengths on anyone responding on this thread.....

and that's how to win an online race. :roll:

broke1 said:
They command a premium in price because they were the nicest,most luxurious,fastest,and lowest production G Body made besides prototypes and the the GNX.

Uh, between '86 and '87 alone, they built over 35,000 Turbo Buicks... :wink:

And mkiiisupra, keep up the good work! Glad you caught your problem and are fixing it before it turned into a catastrophe!

well i guess a grand nation would put you in the seat, so will a funny car broke1 since you seem to be the "man" you should should right "the book of maint." so we all can buy it...ANYWAY I like the car keep it up mkiiisupra!

BTW, mkiiisupra, keep up the good work. Your car looks good to me! I'll also let you know you are not the only one here with issues keeping them from finishing their car. My car is now on an indefinite hold until money picks back up. Just keep plugging away at it. Sooner or later it will get done.

adumb said:
broke1 said:
My 2 GN's are far from the fastest but I beleive they would put BUS lengths on anyone responding on this thread.....

and that's how to win an online race. :roll:

exactly what I was thinking :lol:

I knew a guy that use to pull the same stuff and it was on a local board. A bunch of the guys called him out with their "less powerful cars". Eventually he gave in to the pressure met up with the guys and got stomped by every one of them. Funny thing about most "internet racers" they can't drive. Ever watch a guy try and drive like he was in a movie? :lol:

Its actually a nice day here today think I might work on my Olds.

Blake442 said:
broke1 said:
They command a premium in price because they were the nicest,most luxurious,fastest,and lowest production G Body made besides prototypes and the the GNX.

And mkiiisupra, keep up the good work! Glad you caught your problem and are fixing it before it turned into a catastrophe!

Yea arent there g-bodys out there with lower production numbers? Like the 442 and Hurst Olds ? :? Just a thought

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
He is NOT starting with a turbo 6 powered car to begin with! As a swap, it would be quite expensive to get all those used, 24 year old electronics parts (and wiring harnesses) to work well together in a swap application. As far as using a newer technology engine is concerned, I would put an LSX/6 speed swap in a G body before I would do a turbo 6 swap. I do not doubt the potential of the turbo 6, but I do not think it is a cost-effective swap into a more mundane car. I looked into it in 1996 when I did my car's swap, and decided the SBC was the best option. Also, a poorly maintained turbo 6 would likely need internal work at the kind of mileage a car of this age would normally have. The Buick 6's poor oil pump design is a well known issue, and back when these engines were common in the 90's, it was quite common for them to spin bearings due to lack of oil pressure caused by excessive timing cover wear. It may not have been as common in the turbo community due to the greater care most of these cars likely saw, but it is a common Buick V6 issue.

Also, turbo cars are quite pricey to buy. A serviceable example is usually around $10k, while a basic 2 door Regal is usually anywhere from free to $3500. A Chevy swap is VERY cheap too, and can be had for under $2,000 if you are lucky, know what you are doing and use used parts. Building an 11 second SBC G body is MUCH cheaper than building an 11 second Grand National when you factor in the purchase price of the car and all attending mods.

As for me, I am NOT a car snob. I really don't give a sh*t about heritage or correctness as long as something works from a technical standpoint. The purists can have their correctness, old technology and such. I prefer to combine whatever technologies I see fit to achieve the functionality I have planned.

Great points. My friend knows a kid with a Grand national, think a GNX.. He has probably 700 or so HP in that car. He probably put $40,000 into that car too. I heard the car will scare the sh*t out of ya but for the money, I would stick with a good old non-computer V-8

YaY 4 no com-pew-tors! :lol: and keep up the good work! i have a crap load of parts i still need and i havent turned bolt 1 yet. still waiting on arp bolts, headers and roller tip 1.6 rockers. anyone wanna help? 🙂 😀 :lol:

Blake442 said:
broke1 said:

Tell me what G Body had lower production numbers then??

Thats right,you cant because they were the lowest produced.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor