Uh oh, progress of GNX-SS temporarily halted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
He is NOT starting with a turbo 6 powered car to begin with! As a swap, it would be quite expensive to get all those used, 24 year old electronics parts (and wiring harnesses) to work well together in a swap application. As far as using a newer technology engine is concerned, I would put an LSX/6 speed swap in a G body before I would do a turbo 6 swap. I do not doubt the potential of the turbo 6, but I do not think it is a cost-effective swap into a more mundane car. I looked into it in 1996 when I did my car's swap, and decided the SBC was the best option. Also, a poorly maintained turbo 6 would likely need internal work at the kind of mileage a car of this age would normally have. The Buick 6's poor oil pump design is a well known issue, and back when these engines were common in the 90's, it was quite common for them to spin bearings due to lack of oil pressure caused by excessive timing cover wear. It may not have been as common in the turbo community due to the greater care most of these cars likely saw, but it is a common Buick V6 issue.

Also, turbo cars are quite pricey to buy. A serviceable example is usually around $10k, while a basic 2 door Regal is usually anywhere from free to $3500. A Chevy swap is VERY cheap too, and can be had for under $2,000 if you are lucky, know what you are doing and use used parts. Building an 11 second SBC G body is MUCH cheaper than building an 11 second Grand National when you factor in the purchase price of the car and all attending mods.

As for me, I am NOT a car snob. I really don't give a sh*t about heritage or correctness as long as something works from a technical standpoint. The purists can have their correctness, old technology and such. I prefer to combine whatever technologies I see fit to achieve the functionality I have planned.

You might not be a car snob but you dont know what you are talking about.....

THREAD POSTERS:IF YOU ARE NOT A COMPLETE DUMBASS,READ THE ARTICLES BEFORE YOU REPLY SO YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO BE CORRECTED

adumb said:
broke1 said:
My 2 GN's are far from the fastest but I beleive they would put BUS lengths on anyone responding on this thread.....

and that's how to win an online race. :roll:

Gimme a minute and ill post some pics of my sh*t rides that are slow.....

86-blk442 said:
Blake442 said:
broke1 said:
They command a premium in price because they were the nicest,most luxurious,fastest,and lowest production G Body made besides prototypes and the the GNX.

Uh, between '86 and '87 alone, they built over 35,000 Turbo Buicks... :wink:

And mkiiisupra, keep up the good work! Glad you caught your problem and are fixing it before it turned into a catastrophe!

Yea arent there g-bodys out there with lower production numbers? Like the 442 and Hurst Olds ? :? Just a thought

The 442 replaced the Hurst Olds meaning they are the same cars....break down the #'s before you speak,for total production #'s in the G Body,MORE 442's were made since they started making them in 1978,and thats just the 442's.GN didnt come out till 1984.

And not over 35000 GN's made in 86-87.Try 31xxx.

First one ran 11.9's@121 100% stock on stock tires,much faster now.

DSC00061.jpg

Second one is my daily driver,only makes 490/1155 without nitrous or water/meth

DSC00034.jpg

My street GN,yes it wears drag radials 24/7.When your v8 car will light the tires up at freeway speeds in excess of 70mph,you will need a set too.

DSC00126.jpg

Heres the engine of the slowest of the cars,my GNX clone

drewspic033.jpg

But I dont know sh*t about anything fast....there is over 2000 daily driven rear wheel horsepower in my driveway at any time.What about yours?

broke1 said:
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
He is NOT starting with a turbo 6 powered car to begin with! As a swap, it would be quite expensive to get all those used, 24 year old electronics parts (and wiring harnesses) to work well together in a swap application. As far as using a newer technology engine is concerned, I would put an LSX/6 speed swap in a G body before I would do a turbo 6 swap. I do not doubt the potential of the turbo 6, but I do not think it is a cost-effective swap into a more mundane car. I looked into it in 1996 when I did my car's swap, and decided the SBC was the best option. Also, a poorly maintained turbo 6 would likely need internal work at the kind of mileage a car of this age would normally have. The Buick 6's poor oil pump design is a well known issue, and back when these engines were common in the 90's, it was quite common for them to spin bearings due to lack of oil pressure caused by excessive timing cover wear. It may not have been as common in the turbo community due to the greater care most of these cars likely saw, but it is a common Buick V6 issue.

Also, turbo cars are quite pricey to buy. A serviceable example is usually around $10k, while a basic 2 door Regal is usually anywhere from free to $3500. A Chevy swap is VERY cheap too, and can be had for under $2,000 if you are lucky, know what you are doing and use used parts. Building an 11 second SBC G body is MUCH cheaper than building an 11 second Grand National when you factor in the purchase price of the car and all attending mods.

As for me, I am NOT a car snob. I really don't give a sh*t about heritage or correctness as long as something works from a technical standpoint. The purists can have their correctness, old technology and such. I prefer to combine whatever technologies I see fit to achieve the functionality I have planned.

You might not be a car snob but you dont know what you are talking about.....

THREAD POSTERS:IF YOU ARE NOT A COMPLETE DUMBASS,READ THE ARTICLES BEFORE YOU REPLY SO YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO BE CORRECTED

Everything I said was true. If you wish to be a rich **** Buick fanboy troll and not have any facts to add to the conversation, please go elsewhere. As far as not knowing anything, I have done more engine swaps than I can count and am currently working on an Engineering degree. I may not have the kind of cash it takes to have 2,000 hp in my driveway, but I do have around 800-900. You obviously have money as evidenced by the AMG Benz. I still stand by my statements as being factual and accurate for an average person without access to large amounts of fabrication equipment or a community of geeks to help them build it. If I have to, I can lay out a 11 second SBC G body on paper for around $7,000, INCLUDING THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE CAR. My own car is not intended for that purpose, so it can only run mid 13's.

If you can find a way to do a complete Buick GN swap, running in a car with all the mods to run 11's for around $5,000, please post it. Otherwise, SHUT THE **** UP AND GO AWAY. Most of us on here do not have a lot of money to build our cars and cannot relate to rich boys who can out spend us. I personally don't care about you, your life, or your bragging about how wonderful you and your car are. In the final analysis, it is irrelevant and does nothing to further the cause of mutual assistance we all live by on this forum.

broke1 said:
Blake442 said:
broke1 said:
They command a premium in price because they were the nicest,most luxurious,fastest,and lowest production G Body made besides prototypes and the the GNX.

Uh, between '86 and '87 alone, they built over 35,000 Turbo Buicks... :wink:

And mkiiisupra, keep up the good work! Glad you caught your problem and are fixing it before it turned into a catastrophe!

Tell me what G Body had lower production numbers then??

Thats right,you cant because they were the lowest produced.....

I can, and I've got plenty of free time, so I think I will... I'll even cite my sources.
I like your comment on how it was more like 31xxx...
THAT'S STILL A SHITLOAD OF CARS! I fail to see how that makes them rare.

I had lumped the GN with the rest of the Turbo Buicks, but for the sake of this, I'll separate them.

1987:
GN- 20,193
442- 4,208
Other Turbo Buicks- 7,397

That right there should be enough... But I'll keep going.

1986:
GN- 5,512
442- 4,273
OTB's- 2,384

1985:
GN- 2,102
442- 3,000
OTB's- 2,100

Should I keep going?

'79 H/O- 2499
'80 H/O- 1000
'83 H/O- 3001
'84 H/O- 3000-3500 (true number unknown)

'86 Monte SS AeroCoupe- 200
'87 Monte SS AeroCoupe- 6,052
'86 Pontiac 2+2 AeroCoupe- 1,225

So...
Combine all 3 years of 442, you have 11,481.
Combine all 4 years of H/O, you have 9,500-10,000.
Combine all 4 years of GN, and you have 29,807.

Total '84-'87 Turbo Buick production... 48,626...

All those are a lot fewer than your GN...
You're right. A GN is obviously the rarest G-body. :roll:

Looks to me like it's really the '86 Monte Aerocoupe, with only 200. Even fewer than the GNX at 547.

I suggest you find another place to puff your feathers out, as none of us here are impressed.

Sources:
http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/of442.htm
http://www.gnttype.org/general/product.html
http://oldsjunction.classicoldsmobile.com/oldsfaq/ofhos.htm#HO 1979
http://www.montecarloss.com/86Aerocoupe.html

PWN'D!

broke1 said:
But I dont know sh*t about anything fast....there is over 2000 daily driven rear wheel horsepower in my driveway at any time.What about yours?

Yeah cause you know the only way to win a race is horsepower. It has nothing to do with the driver at all :roll: . I have seen cars that have had power differences of over 300 hp and the "slower" car still won the race. Ever see an S13 (na US model limited engine mods) beat an EVO 8 in a race? I have.

But then what would I know I've only been wrenching on cars since I was 12, driving actual cars (not carts) since I was 13 and started racing at 15. :lol: I may not always have the most power but I'm a good enough driver to make up for it, and building cars to handle actually helps as well not just trying to force out the higher hp numbers. Do I think I know everything? Nope I know I don't. Am I building my Olds to be a HP monster? Nope its going to have around 400 hp and be setup to run autocross.

Let me guess you decided you wanted a GN when you saw it was going to be in the latest Fast and the Furious movie right? Wanted that instant street cred :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor