Updated with before and after pics -Let’s be critical , what’s wrong with this picture ?

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
after looking at DWs , I see the issue. that squared off wheel well which puts a big empty hole in each corner, it's those ugly holes you need to pull attention away from. as others said, nothing really wrong with the stance, but definitely need to pull attention away from the holes. use different wheels, larger sidewalls, or some side-trim paint detail on the fenders
I’m pretty sure I’m going to try a larger tire out back
Are you also suggesting a stripe or a graphic of some kind ?

Reactions: 1 user

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Be careful with backspacing on the rear rims. My rear rims are 17" by 9" with 5" of BS, and I was using 7/32" wheel spacers on both sides. With a stock width rear axle, stock frame and stock wheel tubs, the inner sidewalls of the rear tires are very close to the frame and wheel tub on the inside. Try to go with something with no more than 4 3/4" BS.

Reactions: 1 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I’m pretty sure I’m going to try a larger tire out back
Are you also suggesting a stripe or a graphic of some kind ?
now that I've spotted what disturbs me about the setup (the holes in the corners), I've now identified what makes me me notice those holes compared to some of the images posted by others.
-the deeper wheel compared to others
-the shiny wheel which really lights up that area making it "more noticeable" due to the lighting contrast
-the fender color which your eye slides over but if you had a pinstripe or something graphically interesting it would pull your eye away from those corners

here's a nice one with the fender wheelwell trim which helps lessen the visual impact of those corners, and it's very similar to yours. it's even in Canada 😁

1686938535065.png

img_0975-jpeg.222630

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Be careful with backspacing on the rear rims. My rear rims are 17" by 9" with 5" of BS, and I was using 7/32" wheel spacers on both sides. With a stock width rear axle, stock frame and stock wheel tubs, the inner sidewalls of the rear tires are very close to the frame and wheel tub on the inside. Try to go with something with no more than 4 3/4" BS.
I have 4” bs with 8” wheel on rear so should be ok on inside
I’m willing to cut and roll the outside if I need to

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
Yeah, I think it sits just fine. Any more drastic and the driveibility starts to suffer. I think the car looks a little naked without the trim. I would certainly start with the trim around the wheel lips, and I can't tell if the rocker panel trim is in place or not. Having that could help too. Last, I might even consider the door ding molding down the center although the one with the cowl hood above looks great without it.

When I see a car that has been painted and all the trim missing, I sense that the guy just got lazy, cut the corner and didn't bother to put it back on.

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
Install chrome trim. Wider rear tires might be what will give you the look you're after.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    764.9 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
While I am not really a fan of chrome trim in general or wheel well trim I do have to agree with others that without the chrome wheel well trim on your car it does look like something is missing and draws your attention to that area especially since all of your other factory chrome looks to be in place.

Last edited:

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
now that I've spotted what disturbs me about the setup (the holes in the corners), I've now identified what makes me me notice those holes compared to some of the images posted by others.
-the deeper wheel compared to others
-the shiny wheel which really lights up that area making it "more noticeable" due to the lighting contrast
-the fender color which your eye slides over but if you had a pinstripe or something graphically interesting it would pull your eye away from those corners

here's a nice one with the fender wheelwell trim which helps lessen the visual impact of those corners, and it's very similar to yours. it's even in Canada 😁

View attachment 222693

img_0975-jpeg.222630
Interesting colour … pretty close match
I have fender trim but need better quality pieces to put over that new paint

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Will be ordering nitto 555 275 50 17 for rear on Monday
Now to try to find wheel well trim , any ideas on locating a new or at least a nice set ?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor