Upgrade rear suspension pic's

Status
Not open for further replies.
sickolds said:
dude thats a nice set up

Thanks fam. I hope the pics and stuff helps you in deciding whats best suited for where you are goin with your ride bruh. I probably dont need any of that stuff as my ride is for cruising. It will never see a road race or track. I just get stuff to sh*t on haters and peeps that talk trash. LOL! I know you know exactly what I mean bruh :wink:

watchdog said:
That does look hot. Hey Warren, or anyone, what exactly is the purpose of the coil spring bags?

Thanks bruh! Now I caught alot of hell from peeps on other sites when I posted the air bag pics. Peeps jumped on me about running both bags was wrong. Kit comes with 2 bags. One for left and 1 for right side. Some dudes use only one bag. They sell a kit with one bag only. That one bag is usually ran on the passenger side coil. It aids in keepeing the passenger side from dipping when you launch. Youve seen those bro's with the baaad *ss motors on youtube. They stab it and the right side dips and they hit a wheelie. That bag on that side help control that dip. MY setup is different. I dont race or launch or none of that. But what I do need that kit and both bags for is to help control the rear sag from my sound system. My trunk is loaded with all kinds of goodies. Extra weight makes the suspension drop. Pump the bags up a few more psi and it levels things back out. Thats why I needed both bags. Another purpose for BOTH bags is for towing. We've all seen the Caddy pulling some toys and the rear is sagging biiig time from all the weight. Add a few passengers in the back and now you are really low ridin'. Meanwhile oncoming traffic folks are suffering big time from those 12,000 kelvin hid's blarin cuz they are now pointing straight up at you. The bags help level that out......Some peeps jump all over you for doin something a certain way and not realizing you are using that product to suit YOUR application ya dig... Sorry for the long story. But I get so much bs from peeps. Just wanted to stop that before it started here. But then again, peeps dont read..hope I explained the purpose of the bags well enough bro...

Elco Warren 8)

what's wrong with 2 bags?
you can set different pressures in each so it plants both tires properly.

Thats cool Warren, to each their own.... I appreciate the info, definitely. What do they do as far as affecting the ride? Does it make it stiffer, or softer? I just redid my whole front suspension, 2 inch drop spindles, new uppers and lowers, KYB's, moog 5660 coils, and Im just about to get going on the back. My thing is, Im hoping to retain some comfort as far as the ride goes. My last car/project, I did the same thing, put cargo coils in the back, and man, it rode like a truck, and hit bumps really hard. So now Im in the planning/buying stage for the parts I need for the rear, and Im hoping to have a nice ride. Someone told me to go 'soft' in the rear so that theres some 'give' when I hit a bump or a hole, and the front throws the action back to the rear. Hope this makes sense. Lol..

Bumpin1ohmSS dude i use to work for a shop (groundcontrol in pomona ca) and we did suspension we use to use those bags on full size suv's to help with the weight when you loud up people in the suv so that the back would not sag. dude those things work to ! i think super chevy mag did an article on the way the bags help body roll so yea those are on my wish list :wink: and thanks for posting up your pic's

FE3X CLONE said:
stomis said:
Looks good.

I'd like to know why it was said not to box uppers and lowers? That doesnt make any sense to me. You want your control arms to be rock solid. Your not suppose to get movement from them.

I didn't say you don't want to box the lowers. Lowers are fine since the angle they are at isn't as severe as the uppers. You DON'T want them to be rock solid for a handling situation. For a drag car it's not so much of a concern since your only concerned with going in a straight line.

The issue is that the upper arms need some compliance and ability to twist otherwise you end up with issues of snap oversteer when also combined with stiff bushings.

Tubular arms are better in this regard because while they are stronger than stock, they tend to give some compliance compared to a fully boxed square tube style trailing arm.

I used to own the Hotchkis suspension kit and yes, it did stiffen up the rear end and provided that "feeling" of better performance. However it rode terrible over bumps and even worse if you had a hard corner with bumps. The suspension didn't allow the tires to follow the road but rather just bounce and skip over the surface.
When I did my first Autocross event is when I finally realized how terrible this type of setup was. You end up with very unpredictable snap oversteer where your pushing the car to the limit in turn and as the suspension moves it reaches a point where the bushings/control arms bind, sending the rear of the car sliding out from behind you.

After that day I started ripping all of the Hotchkis crap out.

Hmmm we'll see once I get the car on the road. Guess I'll chop a line down the boxed part or just get tubular uppers. I only used 20ga sheet to match the control arm thickness though nothing ridiculous.

Re: Upgrade rear suspension pic's up date

got my rear and front done :mrgreen: boxed in control arms and air bags and the front sway bars and front brace bars bigggggg! difference! love the way it feels

Attachments

• 100_2565.JPG
    100_2565.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,827
  • 100_2566.JPG
    100_2566.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,825
  • 100_2567.JPG
    100_2567.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,859
Nice set up.................I wish my car wasn't in storage or I'd show you my UMI Performance set up with my 12 bolt in my Monte.Either way, yours looks sweet 8) The reason guys give you sh*t about both air bags is because on the drag cars and some street cars, they only use the right rear air bag...This actually helps better with weight transfer 8)

thanks my car will not see the strip any time soon 🙂 . its more of a honda killer for the streets :mrgreen: and a daily driver (kids and all :wink: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor