Upper Control Arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Oh, okay. Phew! Because when I installed those BJs (upper and lower) in the wagon the shim stack was already maxed out - like the UCA is just millimeters off of my $1000 headers. The only way I am gaining more camber/caster is longer bolts, aftermarket UCAs with tiny bushings and offset shafts.

Its worse on a stock height car than on a lowered car. With tall balljoints, camber goes positive with more ride height, so getting static negative camber on a stock height car can put the UCAs into the headers.

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
Geez I need to look up diagrams to wrap this around my brain. Where would you get these longer bolts, they sell hardware lots? How about these uca's that guys like speedway sell for like 50 bucks.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you use a tall lower ball joint due to the you would need alot of shims and longer bolts. If you have headers the control arm may interfere with the headers With a tall lower and upper ball joints you may get away with the stock bolts and you will need less shims than with just a tall lower but more shims than a stock set up. I have 1/2" tall lower ball joints and a tall spindle and used to cut 1/2" out of the tubular upper but that would shorten the life of the bushing so now I just add shims with the stock length tubular. The cross shaft of the tubular can be spun to add 1/4" to the length so that helps to take up the 1/2" I no longer remove. I'll take a picture of the uppers later today with the shims to give you an idea on what you would need. I think the tall lower ball joint and tall spindle is about the same as lower and upper tall ball joints.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Its worse on a stock height car than on a lowered car. With tall balljoints, camber goes positive with more ride height, so getting static negative camber on a stock height car can put the UCAs into the headers.

Interesting, so how would one factor drop spindles into this equation?

Pretty sure the wagon's LCAs are parallel to the ground which should induce some static negative camber and lower the roll centre with stock parts. However, with the drop spindles and tall ball joints I am curious how jacked up I made things?

The Monte is sitting just on the bumpstops and the UCAs have a very pronounced downward angle to them thanks to a set of cut lowering springs.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
here is a picture of the shims to give you an idea, sorry about the dirt, car isn't on the road yet so it has not been cleaned..

shim.jpg

• Informative

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
Thanks now I understand. Is this where adjustable upper a arms come in handy?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
here is a picture of the shims to give you an idea, sorry about the dirt, car isn't on the road yet so it has not been cleaned.. View attachment 92101
With that many shims I would consider making a spacer maybe slightly less than the current gap for each end and fine tune it from there with the thin shims.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
With that many shims I would consider making a spacer maybe slightly less than the current gap for each end and fine tune it from there with the thin shims.

I agree, I got these sitting in my tool box meaning to install them since last spring....:whistle:

M14596782.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor