CUTLASS Upper radiator hose engine swap

Jims442

Jims442

Apprentice
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
Hey guys Good morning. Has anyone done a engine swap on a 86 cutlass from a 307 to a 350 and know what part number or vehicle to look up to purchase the upper radiator hose. Spent the good part of yesterday at my local auto parts stores and non of them had a clue what hose I needed. also went in the back myself at one and tried to match it up and nothing was even close.Please help Ty Jim

Injectedcutty

Injectedcutty

Geezer
Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Best advice I can give is take a decent coat hanger and bend it to the shape you need. I've done it that way for years. Takes a little patience when hunting through the hoses, but works. Also, make sure the ID of the hose matches up with OD of the fittings. You should need a 1.5" hose up top, 1.75" down low.

Jims442

Jims442

Apprentice
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
Best advice I can give is take a decent coat hanger and bend it to the shape you need. I've done it that way for years. Takes a little patience when hunting through the hoses, but works. Also, make sure the ID of the hose matches up with OD of the fittings. You should need a 1.5" hose up top, 1.75" down low.
Ty

Reactions: Injectedcutty
69hurstolds

69hurstolds

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Olds to Chevy? Olds to Olds? 350 covers several makes. Obviously Olds to Olds would be no change whatsoever, so I'm guessing Olds to Chevy.

If Chevy engine you MAY try GM p/n 14013238. This is for a Monte Carlo upper hose with V8. EDIT: It also is called out for the 305H engine (SBC) for the Canadian V8 Cutlass.

If that's the case, then this one from Rock Auto says it's an equivalent Gates hose:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/gates,21204,radiator+upper+hose,2058

That look like what you need???

Jims442

Jims442

Apprentice
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
Olds to Chevy? Olds to Olds? 350 covers several makes. Obviously Olds to Olds would be no change whatsoever, so I'm guessing Olds to Chevy.

If Chevy engine you MAY try GM p/n 14013238. This is for a Monte Carlo upper hose with V8. EDIT: It also is called out for the 305H engine (SBC) for the Canadian V8 Cutlass.

If that's the case, then this one from Rock Auto says it's an equivalent Gates hose:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/gates,21204,radiator+upper+hose,2058

That look like what you need???
I'm not sure I bought the car with a 350 just recently and the upper hose is one of the those cheap after market with the fake braiding . I don't think it's even the original configuration. Is the 305 and the 350 thermostat in the same place? If so I can just go by the original engine? The one in the picture does not look like mine but I'm not sure it's the right one either.

Attachments

69hurstolds

69hurstolds

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Post a pic of what you do have. I don't know what you're working with.

69hurstolds

69hurstolds

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If the engine looks like this, then you need the hose that looks like this. This is a 78-80 Cutlass based on the radiator overflow tank and fender brace. This is a Chevy in an Olds. The Olds water outlet comes straight out the front without angling like this one does. Take a close look. Is your alternator on the passenger side or driver side? Do you add oil on the valve cover or is there a tube up front?

Jims442

Jims442

Apprentice
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
If the engine looks like this, then you need the hose that looks like this. This is a 78-80 Cutlass based on the radiator overflow tank and fender brace. This is a Chevy in an Olds. The Olds water outlet comes straight out the front without angling like this one does. Take a close look. Is your alternator on the passenger side or driver side? Do you add oil on the valve cover or is there a tube up front?

A/C Was removed so that makes sense TY

B

bracketchev1221

G-Body Guru
Jan 18, 2018
Try V8 Malibu non A/C car. Mine was a 78 Malibu, so not sure how different your radiator may be, but I used the factory hose with the blower on my car.

Reactions: Jims442
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SmokinJoe cutlass supreme upper radiator hose strap to fan shroud Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 6
SupremeSpeed Upper Alternator bracket G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 4
SupremeSpeed Upper Motor Mount placement Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 4
ed1948 Adjustable Upper Rear Control Arms Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 16
QS442 78-80 Cutlass Upper Sail Panels Wanted 0
7 WTB 1978-80 Monte Carlo upper and lower sail panels Wanted 5
jimsmonte80 1978-1988 G-Body upper rear quarter panel interior trim seal Interior 0
K NIB Spohn Front upper Tubular Control Arms 1978-1987 GM G-Body G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 8
Macguyver New Pro Series On Car Adjustable Upper A-Arm Kit. Southside Machine Performance 5
L upper control arm question Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 17
L Upper control arm shaft help Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 3
Hubb79 Upper control arm swap Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 4
Hubb79 Upper control arms Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 2
Jackdiablo S-10 upper and lower tubular control arms Chevrolet El Camino / GMC Caballero 20
Hubb79 Upper door panels Interior 0
T Southside machine performance upper control arms Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 11
Chuck Cole Lower Radiator Hose Size mismatch Ideas? General Discussion 11
M Summit Copper Radiator Cooling / Heating / AC 32
M Radiator Paint General Discussion 7
bobby frillou Whats needed for radiator upgrade v6 to v8 engine General Discussion 2
FluoFerret Electric fan shrouds Cooling / Heating / AC 22
Spintire47 Lower Radiator hose, Bbc, alumunun radiator, electric water pump How-To's / Knowledge Base 0
G 85 Camino radiator G-Body LS Swap 2
olds307 and 403 Installing GN radiator baffles on a 88 Cutlass General Discussion 3
C Its that time of year, radiator season - 2020 edition Cooling / Heating / AC 9
MalibuDavyou5 Oil in the Radiator. Cooling / Heating / AC 33
MalibuDavyou5 Radiator recommendation. Cooling / Heating / AC 8
FastCraig Aluminum Radiator saved me in town General Discussion 13
2 Trans cooler lines leak at radiator Cooling / Heating / AC 5
H MALIBU Silicone radiator hoses New Users 11
B Radiator core support question Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 2
Stupidquestionspro HELP Radiator questions Cooling / Heating / AC 10
S GN Radiator Air Box Kit General Discussion 5
Chuck Cole Cooling /Radiator Question Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 28
olds307 and 403 Pictures of air flow deflectors for the radiator General Discussion 42
MechMan Champion Radiator G-Body LS Swap 18
M AC hose assembly Cooling / Heating / AC 12
P 442 307 fuel hose frame-pump tips?? Fuel / Air / Boost / Emissions 1
harvtown REGAL need vacuum hose diagram 1978 3.8 dueljet Fuel / Air / Boost / Emissions 1
P Detailed vacuum hose pictures General Discussion 6
Jims442 442 heater hose size Cooling / Heating / AC 12
T Heater hose clamps Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 7
J REGAL 231L Thermostat Hose Cooling / Heating / AC 2
P Trans Cooler Lines - Push Lok or Braided Hose? Transmission / Rear End / Driveline 12
A Looking for 88 Monte Carlo SS hose schematics Chevrolet Monte Carlo / SS / Malibu 4
pagrunt Air brake hose for emission/vacuum lines? Engine / Swaps / Driveability 3
Tony1968 Rear brake hose frame to rear help. Wheels / Tires / Brakes 11
pontiacgp 2" Lower Rad Hose General Discussion 8
TURNA Oldsmobile Heater Hose General Discussion 2