Using 7.5" w/ '81 T/A Posi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender21

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
I am building a 2nd GP, this one from a v6, using a '68 Poncho 400. I have a '81 T/A that I am using for parts, mostly for the BOP TH350, snowflakes and its posi rear end. My question is what all do I need to convert the rear to use the T/A unit, and is it something someone inexperienced but with decent mechanical aptitude can do? I haven't opened one up before, so I have no experience. I need replacement axles for a GN correct? And what sort of kit do I need?

To convert the rest of the car I have already added Moog springs and new KYB shocks, dual exhaust crossmember, and a Summit radiator kit, w/ their 2-row aluminum radiator, dual 10" electric puller fans and shroud, as well as a transmission cooler.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
An 81' TA will have an 8.5 rear in it not the 7.5 that an 82' would. So the posi is going to do you any good for your existing rear.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
You would be much farther ahead to sell the T/A posi and look for a Gbody 7.5 with a posi and then do a disc brake upgrade. Your T/A rear is too wide and doesn't have the appropriate mounting points. Most of the Fbody rears had lame gearing anyway even though they were posi and had discs. Yours probably has something in the 2.73 range. I'm sure everyone will say "Just go get an 8.5" from a Grand National" like they grow on trees. Obviously, the 8.5" is stronger but the 7.5s are pretty sturdy if you don't blatantly abuse them. A Monte SS rear ('84-'86?) should have 3.42 and a posi. It would be a good match with your 400/TH350 combo. Good luck.

Bender21

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
Thank you for your help, I will start checking around for a Monte SS rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor