V6 Rears?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D's350GP

Apprentice
Aug 14, 2006
I was just wondering how strong V6 equipped G-body rear-ends were. I know that when i get the GP running im gonna want to do all kinds of dumb sh^t and possibly destroy my rear. As i start to ugrade the car i will eventualy buy a posi, but i dont want to have to replace a stock one. Thanks in advance.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
D's350GP said:
I was just wondering how strong V6 equipped G-body rear-ends were. I know that when i get the GP running im gonna want to do all kinds of dumb sh^t and possibly destroy my rear. As i start to ugrade the car i will eventualy buy a posi, but i dont want to have to replace a stock one. Thanks in advance.
Your GP's stock rearend sould be able to take a fair amount of abuse. About the same as any 7.5" 10 Bolt. If your going to do a motor swap I'd build it up a little. Keep the stock housing and get a posi carrier and gears. If you upgrade to 28 spindle axles it will be pretty tough. This is what I did with my rearend and I havn't had any problems. As long as you have a 231 in there you shouldn't be able to hurt it. I'd be more worried about your transission for now.

Renthorin

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Michigan
The turbo Buick rear ends are quite strong.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Renthorin said:
The turbo Buick rear ends are quite strong.
Oh yeah! My next upgrade is to a GN 8.5"... just as soon as I find a good deal on one :D

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
All 7.5" 10-bolts were the same regardless of the engine. I doubt that you are going to make enough power with a 231 V6 to cause any problems but don't fool around and waste your money trying to modify a 7.5" for extra strenght.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
^^^I think he is talking about his GP that will be running in the 12's...

I heard a cheap and easy upgrade to the 7.5 is to get a posi from an F body which is a 7 5/8 rear end and fits in the 7.5 housing...then you can use some GN axles which are 28 spindle axles.....if your going to look for a GN diff then good luck...

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
I had Regal I converted from a 231 to a 350 sbc with 9:1, headers, edlebrock intake and Performer Cam. The stock 7.5 held up fine.

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...

Renthorin

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Michigan
One EYE - so now the ca-truck is an 8.5, 373, posi? If so, you should be good for low 11's in the future which I KNOW you will be trying for :)

That was a great read.

Side note...to save some weight...dump the traction bars, stop hop bars, and boxed control arms and get some tubular lowers with poly bushings. I run those and WOW what a difference.

I see you have added a sway bar ......that's not a sway bar.....THIS is a sway bar.....

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/pho ... 3741FkSSQY

I put that on more for looks but DARN it sure helped with launching.

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
i actually had to take the sway bar off cause it was too narrow for the 8.5. i am planning on getting rid of all that when i make the tubular control arms.
i love the sway bar on your car......its FAT like me. mmmmmmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor