Vapor lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Bonnewagon has a 301 V-8 and AC. I use the three port recirculating pump and I have all new lines to and from the gas tank. When I did the lines I specifically avoided exhaust pipes so that must have helped. Even in July with the AC blasting I have never had a vapor lock issue. I do find my fuel bowl is empty after two days of sitting and I attribute that to all the alcohol in the gas.

Most overlooked issue is worn throttle bushing resulting in sucking air at the throttle shaft. They wear and barely any carb builders address it resulting in poor performance from sucking air.

• Sad
Reactions: Ugly1
Most overlooked issue is worn throttle bushing resulting in sucking air at the throttle shaft. They wear and barely any carb builders address it resulting in poor performance from sucking air.

I rebushed my with homemade teflon bushings as they seal better than metal bushings. They past the unlit propane torch test.

Where you seeing these unicorns? I've yet to see anyone other than 88hurstolds actually restore a vintage 80s G-body to its former glory. Pretty much everything else has been modified. Of course, if they're all burning up, it would make sense nobody else is seeing them.
I was actually in process of answering this yesterday and the phone messed up, so today have to get new phone...

As per the Unicorns; Unfortunately on IAAI and Copart. Too many were restored then the old fuel lines leak on hot engine, and the end result is not too glamorous. SW Arizona has several 80's C and K body trucks, Regals, Cutlass and Chevy A Bodies, and of course El Caminos. In various states I still have 83 Olds Regency, 89 Olds Wagon, 86 Cutlass restored, mild modified, 81 Firebird Esprit, 86 S-10. A few years back I was building a set for WWP Yellow Ribbon ride and while away for Army Reserve duty, my ex-business partner decided to steal the cars.

A few years back I bought and 84 Olds Delta 88 from IAAI for $200. It was beautifully restored, yet whomever did the work didn't change the ball joints..., and it was totaled. Parting it out was not a happy day, but AZ DMV had it listed as "unrepairable".

I can send photo of my 86 Cutlass and 89 Wagon. The 86 sat under a tree for 12 years. Was kept meticulous, by previous owner, she had just replaced tires, tune up, plugs etc., and passed away later that night. Her son didn't ever want to sell it so it sat for 12 years under the tree in front of their house. I picked it and its an odd one. It is a 4-door, yet has 442 gauge pack and the 442 aluminum hood, yet Vin Y 307.

The 89 Wagon was part of a movie project that didn't happen, "MFP USA", so it's painted up in the MFP Mad Max 1979 Scheme. The movie idea kicked around late 2016 after the "Fury Road" popularity, but full funding never materialized, I did the work so still have the car.

Pic below is a 91 Caprice just got yesterday for $800, ...needs some love to say the least. Fuel pump went out and was abandoned, so purchased from towing company.

A few years ago my friend found a GNX, an actual GNX. He did some speaker work for a customer that couldn't fully pay so he got the; "hey..., can you use this old car for parts?" Went to the customers house, under a sun rotted tarp with lumber scrap stacked on the hood. Ex-girlfriend's, son's car got left, doesn't run, it's in the way, don't know what to do with it... You just can't make this stuff up.

The other pic below is the FP I use for SBC; 1970 C-10 or Impala 400 CID.

The next Pic is what I use for Olds Small Block; 1970 Delta 88 Royale, 350 CID.

I like the idea of the regulator where it is. Adjustable is the way to go, Q-Jet, Holley, Edelbrock, every carb and car is different. As a former engineer, I more appreciate knowing what I have instead of someone else's idea of a system of giving me what I "should" have.

One thing mentioned and thank you for posting is the Booster, absolutely rule out the booster. A few years ago I posted a reply to the Cutlass forum and mentioned this, yet all I got was flamed and criticized. Yet believe it or not... it was the booster! The OP was restoring an early 80's cutlass, and had purchased the booster/master cylinder kit, and had running and drivability problems.

Someone else mention fuel charge temp, and this is true. Not sure if still available, but one of the things we used to do for Street and Pro-Street was the "cool can". It has the fuel line swirled in a "can" and on cruise night you fill the can with ice, helps with detonation and a little quicker launch, we also used water/alcohol injection for detonation. Most of us had 10:1 cars, and could get 104 from the Aero Estates Air Strip, but on pump gas you needed the water injection, plus de-tune the timing, I.E.; lighter weights, heavier springs in the distributor.

Where you seeing these unicorns? I've yet to see anyone other than 88hurstolds actually restore a vintage 80s G-body to its former glory. Pretty much everything else has been modified. Of course, if they're all burning up, it would make sense nobody else is seeing them.

Attachments

• Cropped 91 20220526_093018.jpg
    Cropped 91 20220526_093018.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Picture2.png
    Picture2.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 83
My Bonnewagon has a 301 V-8 and AC. I use the three port recirculating pump and I have all new lines to and from the gas tank. When I did the lines I specifically avoided exhaust pipes so that must have helped. Even in July with the AC blasting I have never had a vapor lock issue. I do find my fuel bowl is empty after two days of sitting and I attribute that to all the alcohol in the gas.
Alcohol probably doesn't have anything to do with it. It's likely 7-8% alcohol so it shouldn't evaporate overnight. If it's a CCC carb it should be sealed off from the atmosphere anyway and only vented through the air cleaner. This issue sounds like you don't have the check valve in the front end of the fuel filter (that anti-leak during a rollover crap) and you're pump check valves (which are sort of crappy anyway) and needle seat are leaking by, gradually draining the fuel bowl back to the tank. Once the fuel bowl just starts draining, the float drops and opens the needle valve just making it worse. This also can happen with a soaked nitrophyl float, where they're too heavy to really float. You're SUPPOSED to check the float weight during a rebuild, but I always just replace the float with a new one regardless. Nobody cares about pennyweights anyway.

Either that or you have fuel bowl wells leaking into the intake.

Reactions: 78Delta88
I was actually in process of answering this yesterday and the phone messed up, so today have to get new phone...

As per the Unicorns; Unfortunately on IAAI and Copart. Too many were restored then the old fuel lines leak on hot engine, and the end result is not too glamorous. SW Arizona has several 80's C and K body trucks, Regals, Cutlass and Chevy A Bodies, and of course El Caminos. In various states I still have 83 Olds Regency, 89 Olds Wagon, 86 Cutlass restored, mild modified, 81 Firebird Esprit, 86 S-10. A few years back I was building a set for WWP Yellow Ribbon ride and while away for Army Reserve duty, my ex-business partner decided to steal the cars.

A few years back I bought and 84 Olds Delta 88 from IAAI for $200. It was beautifully restored, yet whomever did the work didn't change the ball joints..., and it was totaled. Parting it out was not a happy day, but AZ DMV had it listed as "unrepairable".

I can send photo of my 86 Cutlass and 89 Wagon. The 86 sat under a tree for 12 years. Was kept meticulous, by previous owner, she had just replaced tires, tune up, plugs etc., and passed away later that night. Her son didn't ever want to sell it so it sat for 12 years under the tree in front of their house. I picked it and its an odd one. It is a 4-door, yet has 442 gauge pack and the 442 aluminum hood, yet Vin Y 307.

The 89 Wagon was part of a movie project that didn't happen, "MFP USA", so it's painted up in the MFP Mad Max 1979 Scheme. The movie idea kicked around late 2016 after the "Fury Road" popularity, but full funding never materialized, I did the work so still have the car.

Pic below is a 91 Caprice just got yesterday for $800, ...needs some love to say the least. Fuel pump went out and was abandoned, so purchased from towing company.

A few years ago my friend found a GNX, an actual GNX. He did some speaker work for a customer that couldn't fully pay so he got the; "hey..., can you use this old car for parts?" Went to the customers house, under a sun rotted tarp with lumber scrap stacked on the hood. Ex-girlfriend's, son's car got left, doesn't run, it's in the way, don't know what to do with it... You just can't make this stuff up.

The other pic below is the FP I use for SBC; 1970 C-10 or Impala 400 CID.

The next Pic is what I use for Olds Small Block; 1970 Delta 88 Royale, 350 CID.

I like the idea of the regulator where it is. Adjustable is the way to go, Q-Jet, Holley, Edelbrock, every carb and car is different. As a former engineer, I more appreciate knowing what I have instead of someone else's idea of a system of giving me what I "should" have.

One thing mentioned and thank you for posting is the Booster, absolutely rule out the booster. A few years ago I posted a reply to the Cutlass forum and mentioned this, yet all I got was flamed and criticized. Yet believe it or not... it was the booster! The OP was restoring an early 80's cutlass, and had purchased the booster/master cylinder kit, and had running and drivability problems.

Someone else mention fuel charge temp, and this is true. Not sure if still available, but one of the things we used to do for Street and Pro-Street was the "cool can". It has the fuel line swirled in a "can" and on cruise night you fill the can with ice, helps with detonation and a little quicker launch, we also used water/alcohol injection for detonation. Most of us had 10:1 cars, and could get 104 from the Aero Estates Air Strip, but on pump gas you needed the water injection, plus de-tune the timing, I.E.; lighter weights, heavier springs in the distributor.

Have any pictures of the MFP USA wagon?

Reactions: Ugly1
Have any pictures of the MFP USA wagon?
Pics below of the MFP Wagon, originally setup for Search and Recovery, the inside setup as BLS EMT Ambulance. I have the lightbar but not mounted. I was always looking for Olds 455 but have an Olds 350 and Chevy 454. Currently still has the 307 in it.
The other pic is the 86 Cutlass, right now just running a 307, will probably go with the Olds 350, but after Covid hit, everything just sat.

Attachments

• MFP 1989 Olds Wagon 002.jpg
    MFP 1989 Olds Wagon 002.jpg
    751 KB · Views: 83
  • Chevy 454 .jpg
    Chevy 454 .jpg
    1 MB · Views: 93
  • 1986 Cutlass Sedan.jpg
    1986 Cutlass Sedan.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 86
Looks pretty good.

78Delta88, any success in tracking down your ex-partner and explaining to him the nature and severity of his mistake?

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor