Vent/ductwork foam seal replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I’m starting to put my interior in and I’ve noticed nearly all the old foam GM used to seal the vent ducts to the back of the dash is just powder at this point, and suggestions on an alternative? I was thinking of cutting some ready made pipe insulation down to thirds and glueing it to the ducts where the factory foam went.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I just used black foam weather stripping and cut it to size.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I think it's another one of those "d'oh!" moments where oh, about 1992 or so, I bought all those little foam duct seals and insulating pads from GM. Preglued foam seals and everything. I haven't opened the box they're in, but mother nature being who she is, probably turned those into dust as well, although they've lived a pampered life in humidity control all their lives. Eh, maybe I can use them as a template if they're fugged up when I do get round to it.

Reactions: 1 user

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Mikes Montes sells a kit for redoing AC boxes. Pretty sure its got all the pieces.
I got my kit from Dixie, I’ll have to check and see if it’s got the passenger and driver’s side vent seals.
I think it's another one of those "d'oh!" moments where oh, about 1992 or so, I bought all those little foam duct seals and insulating pads from GM. Preglued foam seals and everything. I haven't opened the box they're in, but mother nature being who she is, probably turned those into dust as well, although they've lived a pampered life in humidity control all their lives. Eh, maybe I can use them as a template if they're fugged up when I do get round to it.
If they were stored in a cool place, I think they’d be fine, the center seal on my GP ductwork is practically brand new, but the outer vents are nonexistent

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor