Vortec Intake Gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I just removed the problem solver intake gaskets which allowed the oil to get sucked into the intake ports. I read online that the intake bolts need to be torqued at 35 ft lbs when using the problem solver gaskets so I thought I had made the error of torquing the bolts to 11 ft lbs. I bought some new ARP intake bolts and talked to my friend who owns the speed shop. I asked him about the torque of 35 ft lbs for the problem solver gaskets and he said guys are breaking off the corners of the heads torquing the intake bolts to 35 ft lbs and that the problem solver gaskets need to be torqued to 11 ft lbs. I have the Felpro gaskets with the rubber diaphragm that I will be installing tonight. Apparently with the green coolant that doesn't affect the rubber like the new toxic stuff the current cars use. Any of you guys with the vortec heads have any experience with the problem solver intake gaskets for the vortec heads?

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
FP1255 is what I have been using, not sure if that is the problem solver part number you are referring to ?
I have had to take the intake off my motor 4 times in a 2 year span. Twice it was fouling plugs on 1&3, then wiped a lobe, then again disappearing antifreeze with no fouling that I noticed ( which I attributed to the rush to re-install everything after the cam change ).
I run the vortec style patriot steel heads, GMPP alum intake, and ARP bolts.
Second time with the coolant leak time I complained to the engine builder across the street from work ( where I sometimes get my parts from ). When I went in and explained that I was loosing coolant and hard starting when cold he asked how tight the intake was. I told him that I would torque them down to 12 ft/lbs but he advised they bump it to 20 ft/lbs with these gaskets. He said that's what they do when they rebuild the motor. Then once thru a full heat and cool cycle ( dyno time ) they go over all the bolts again to recheck the torque. I gotta admit there has been no coolant loss but it seems to take forever for the torque wrench to click at 20 ft/lbs and I feel like the bolt will snap. 35 ft/lbs...that really seems really tight.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks for your reply, FP1255 are the ones that I was told are problem solvers and ti looks like I'm not the only one with issues with those gaskets. I used the stock ones with the rubber diaphragm when I installed the vortec heads and never had a problem. When I changed my cam to a roller I picked up a new set and was told the FP1255 gasket was a better version with no rubber to cause a problem. I'm going back with the rubber diaphragm style and I hope the problem is solved.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Has anyone used GM 89017465? This is a stock-type gasket set used on OEM 'R' Vortec 350s.

I haven't used that one but I like the metal around the bolt holes and it looks like there is no rubber membrane to mess up, the gaskets I installed earlier tonite are FELMS90131. If I have any issues with the Felpros I installed tonite I'll get a set of those GM gaskets so thanks for posting that part number.

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I already bought a set of 12 point ARP intake bolts so I may just use the plastic/o-ring type of gasket. I may buy one of those bolts and compare it to the ARP bolts and then decide. That Chevrolet Performance gasket is supposed to be the latest and greatest design. I hate to not use it but I am using those 12 point ARP bolts all over my engine as a detail.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Oh well. It's not going to run this year so I have time to decide.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor