• 1980 Malibu Classic (Custom)

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner (Original)

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
3895230112_large.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the HP ratings in all the bigger V8 engines were under rated by a lot, so that the Insurance Co. didn't raise your premiums. This started in 1969 I think. The average was about a 35 HP under rating. :shock: For example the 396/375 horse motor was really rated 425 HP which was still low. 😱 Ford and Chrysler did the same thing. The 383 was about 365 to 370 HP. Also, it was mentioned that the engine was being disassembled. I would guess for a rebuild. New rings, bearings, etc. Add a decent cam, a good valve job an .010 or .015 surface cut on the heads to true them up, and you're well on your way to 450HP or maybe more, and don't forget the headers, intake manifold, and good carb !! :lol: Never say never. :lol: .....................mickey-d :rofl:

I would fix the malibu for now,until you can fix the roadrunner right.The roadrunner is bought and payed for so its not urgent that its on the road.Just be sure and store it in the dry and if it ever gets to the point in your life were its sitting and rotting let it go so that it may live another day.I once had a 68 coronet 500 that I bought from a buddy that had blown the motor and had got short orders all within a week for 400 bucks but after paying for outside storage and letting the car sit like that for 4-5 months I had to sell it.At least you have it and a place to keep it,fix the malibu and start collecting pieces till the day comes to restore the roadrunner.

Here's an update. Looked into the malibu's engine and what not. The trans is shot for sure and it looks like I will have to disassemble the engine and do a rebore out to 30 thousandths and get new pistons.

So it's kind of a bummer. The malibu is going to sit for a while. That car was a big budget build and there are a lot of things that I should have done better such as drop spindles instead of cutting a coil or a better engine setup. Now I'm going to begin gathering parts for the roadrunner.

I'm going to my buddies shop cause he gets major discounts from suppliers. Gonna go order almost all of the interior from legendary and also a quarter panel skin for the passenger side where it was hit back in the 70's. I spent a bunch of time going through the roadrunner's engine and every part is numbers matching on the engine. So I'll be rebuilding all the engine components like the alternator, power steering pump, and put in a slightly larger aftermarket cam. Good benefit is I already have a power coater and an oven to powder coat parts. I just got a job working for Harbor Freight tools so I'll be able to get a sand blasting table for 20% off.

The old man is starting construction on the garage so until that's done, I'll just be doing parts gathering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor