• 1980 Malibu Classic (Custom)

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner (Original)

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got all kinds of opinions! 😛

I voted for your 'bu since it needs the least amount of work, not because of any G-body biases.
I agree with the others that the RoadRunner deserves the time and the money to do it right, so it might as well wait.

I just don't want you to be disappointed, and I try to steer you in the right direction, in my own special way.
That, and you're kinda fun to mess with. :lol:

BTW, this is my buddies Challenger that used to run a 383 with pretty much that same build.
It was probably in the 400-ish hp range, but was never on the dyno. It ran 12.60's with the 383.
It now sports a 440 that dyno'd at 454 hp and 518 ft.lbs. and runs 12.3's with a 727 and 4.56 gears.

31736610005_large.jpg

You know what really sucks. I already spent 200 way back and bought a complete 440 long block, forged crank, and 30 over forged pistons. But now I decided to just leave the car as she came. Unless I find a 426 hemi somewhere.

Right now my old man is in the process of building the 1500 sq. ft. garage. Once that is done, we are going to strip the car down to every last nut and bolt and build from ground up. Media blast etc. I plan on spending a lot of time on it since this one was one of the last roadrunners produced for 71'. Luckily this is my dream car and I won't have to worry about finding another car lol. I remember my dad's buddies asking him " I thought you were a die hard mopar guy, so why did you get your son a chevy?" He responds with "I'm too disgusted with ford to let him drive that and if he's gonna wreck his first car it's going to be a chevy." Luckily I never wrecked it so he ate his own words on that lol.

patmckinneyracing said:
You know what really sucks. I already spent 200 way back and bought a complete 440 long block, forged crank, and 30 over forged pistons. But now I decided to just leave the car as she came.

And you're not building that why?

Yank the 383, and stuff it under the work bench. That way you've got your #'s matching motor for some-day, and it's not at risk of getting destroyed while you enjoy the car.

Build the 440 and have fun. That should be a no-brainer!

Agreed. The Malibu won't cost a lot, especially if you have a line on a transmission, only have to patch the floor as opposed to replacing the whole thing, and have a chance of not needing much more than bearings/rings/seals on the motor.

I do like Mopars though... My dad had both a '68 & '69 Roadrunner, don't have any pictures of the '69 though.
From his racing days:
3.jpg

And after racing days:
8.jpg

Yes, those are all GM A-Bodies you see in the background 😀

And you're not building that why?

Yank the 383, and stuff it under the work bench. That way you've got your #'s matching motor for some-day, and it's not at risk of getting destroyed while you enjoy the car.

Build the 440 and have fun. That should be a no-brainer![/quote]

I agree the car will be worth way more money later on if you have the numbers matching motor

The whole car is numbers matching. That was the whole point to getting the 440 because the guy threw in an extra 4 speed so I figured "Hey I got a 440 4 speed I can put in and not mess up the original". But then I got to thinking that its not what the car came with. I don't plan on ever selling my neither the malibu or roadrunner. Selling either is hard because the malibu is very sentimental while the roadrunner is the dream car I wanted. So I'd probably sell my dakota before either one of those.

And besides, how many kids you know had an 80' malibu and 71' roadrunner as their first two cars and were not part of the baby boomer generation? lol :mrgreen:

Either way I don't really think it matters. Regardless of which car you pour your money into, you're still going to look like a pedophile driving it. I suggest selling both and putting that money towards a Buick. You'll still look like a pedophile (no car will change your physical appearance) but at least you'll have the most bad *ss car in your trailer park. I guess if I was in your shoes I'd rather look like a classy sophisticated child predator in a bad *ss car than the usual chat room Dateline type. Just something to think about.

he is jealous. and by the way he is talkin trash, he has never had the experience of building a engine and making it fire up. :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor