Wagon springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3G's

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 26, 2007
Taber Alberta, Canada
Anyone ever use station wagon springs, like out of a malibu wagon, on their Monte? I'd like to stiffen up the suspension a touch and figured since I can get a discount through my work on MOOG stuf, might as well try it. Or, should I go with A/C springs in the front and just heavey dutys in the rear? My goal is to get this car to out handle a cocky little kid in town that runs around in a Skyline. I may be 32, but I'm not beyond some childish escapades!

betcha618

Greasemonkey
Jul 24, 2007
3G's said:
My goal is to get this car to out handle a cocky little kid in town that runs around in a Skyline.

Your going to have to do a lot more than just buy a set off wagon springs. Do some research on those cars and see how well they handle. You'd need a complete suspension upgrade with all top of the line stuff to even think of coming close to his handling capabilities stock.

3G's

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 26, 2007
Taber Alberta, Canada
Oh hell, I plan on doing a lot more than just the springs, I was just curious if anyone had ever used wagon springs with any kind of success. Sway bars, upper and lower rear control arms, urethane bushings, blah, blah, blah.

3G's

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 26, 2007
Taber Alberta, Canada
My only concern with wagon springs is the ride height. Screw it, maybe I'll see what the Eibachs are worth!

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota
Wagon springs will lift the back up an inch or so. Thats what i have in my car now.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
3G's said:
Anyone ever use station wagon springs, like out of a malibu wagon, on their Monte? I'd like to stiffen up the suspension a touch and figured since I can get a discount through my work on MOOG stuf, might as well try it. Or, should I go with A/C springs in the front and just heavey dutys in the rear? My goal is to get this car to out handle a cocky little kid in town that runs around in a Skyline. I may be 32, but I'm not beyond some childish escapades!

You will never outhandle a AWD R32, R33, R34, or R35 Skyline GTR (or even a 2wd GTS-T) in a G body without a SERIOUS rethink of the whole car. Nissan's ATTESSA AWD with computer control, 4 wheel independent suspension, yaw control, proper weight distribution, awesome brakes, etc. are what makes these cars so good. Compare that to a suspension and chassis that remained unchanged in design from 1968 until 1988 (64-67 A bodies are different in a few ways from their later cousins), and it's not likely to happen. You may get a lateral G number that is higher, but the transient handling will never match it. G bodies were designed as simple family cars, or at best straight line cars. Going around corners well was not on the list of priorities that GM engineers had on their minds when they developed this chassis in the 1960's, otherwise the front suspension would have better geometry. It can be improved on, but simple bolt ons will never make a G body the equal of a Skyline. That would take a clean sheet approach, which most of us with lives (and most without) would not be willing to do. Godzilla will not be defeated around a corner by our cars.

betcha618

Greasemonkey
Jul 24, 2007
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
3G's said:

You will never outhandle a AWD R32, R33, R34, or R35 Skyline GTR (or even a 2wd GTS-T) in a G body without a SERIOUS rethink of the whole car. Nissan's ATTESSA AWD with computer control, 4 wheel independent suspension, yaw control, proper weight distribution, awesome brakes, etc. are what makes these cars so good. Compare that to a suspension and chassis that remained unchanged in design from 1968 until 1988 (64-67 A bodies are different in a few ways from their later cousins), and it's not likely to happen. You may get a lateral G number that is higher, but the transient handling will never match it. G bodies were designed as simple family cars, or at best straight line cars. Going around corners well was not on the list of priorities that GM engineers had on their minds when they developed this chassis in the 1960's, otherwise the front suspension would have better geometry. It can be improved on, but simple bolt ons will never make a G body the equal of a Skyline. That would take a clean sheet approach, which most of us with lives (and most without) would not be willing to do. Godzilla will not be defeated around a corner by our cars.

tHATS WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
R34 GTR= Sex on wheels...Stock. And I would bet there isn't a stock GTR anywhere in the US, because stock GTR's are rarer than stock 5.0 Fox Mustangs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor