Want Some Honest Opinions...Thinking of selling my Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I am sort of debating this in my mind right now as I could really use the money. If I do this, it likely will not be until the fall as I will need time to get some other things in order first. Now, if I sold it, I would fix all of it's problems, it would have working A/C, and probably even a new transmission too. Cosmetically, it is not perfect, but it is very good. It has a decent stereo, power windows, power locks, power trunk release, cruise control, A/C, dual power 60/40 split bench seat, power brakes, power steering, and tinted windows. The engine is a 350hp 355 Chevy (specs in sig) going back to a TH 200 4R automatic, and a 3.23 rear axle. The windshield is new, as are all the weatherstripping pieces ( save the window sweeps), the carpet, headliner and visors. It has the factory gauge package with all of them working (except the water temp, but I will fix that before sale), a electrochromatic rear view mirror with map lights and a digital compass and also tilt steering. I also sealed the body so that it is water tight and replaced all the body caulk. it also has all poly bushings in the front end, a fairly new fast ratio steering box off a MCSS, Eibach springs, and polyurethane body mounts. Oh, and it also has a factory aluminum hood, the front fenders have been clearanced for wider tires, and a bunch more I am forgetting. Now, the wheels and tires are not in the best of shape, but I will leave them for the next owner to take care of. I was thinking of asking $6500 for the car and am wondering if it would be a realistic price. Please post your opinions below.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Wish I had about $6500 right now. :cry:

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I think if you get all the odds and ends squared away, you're going to have a hard time letting it go.

It's easy to get the wind knocked out of your sails or discouraged on such a project like you've undertaken.
But if you're really ready to let it go, than maybe it's just time...

You ever wonder why there's so many of those guys that say "man, I had this car and blah blah and I sold it..."
Well, you know what? Life happens! Priorities, interests, wants and needs all change throughout the years.

Considering all the work you've put into it, $6500 sounds fair, but at the same time, it's a tad on the high side.
Unfortunately, that's for the market to decide...

Just remember, you can always start high and come down on the price, but if you go too low, you'll kick yourself for years.

Hope you get all your sh*t squared away so you can get back to normal, and ideally even keep the car! :banana:

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
In all honesty, I think $6500 is too much with today's economy. I definately believe your car is worth it, especially with all the work done to it, but I don't know if you'll be able to get that much for it.

As a comparison, I got my car for $5500, and I think my car has more done to it than yours. Mine is pretty much a fully restored car. It was a factory V6 car, so you can imagine how much money was dumped into my car by whoever did all the work to it.

If you can't get at least $6500 for yours, I would just hold onto it. You have too much time and money tied up in the car to just throw it away. Once things turn around for the economy, you'll have better luck getting good money for your car.

If you can, try holding onto it until next spring, and sell if after tax time, before summer. There's always someone itching to buy a nice car around that time of the year.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Actually, mine was a factory V6 car too. I did the swap myself (it predates my time on this forum), and even went so far as to use the wiring harness from a 1985 305 Grand Prix so that the wiring would not be cut and spliced. To look at it under the hood, it looks like GM did the installation, right down to the cold air system from a Camaro of the same vintage. Like I said though, it is a couple months off. I first have to get the AMC finished and sold off, the house refinanced and buy a brand new delivery car (that no one here would like, but that makes the maximum practical sense for where my life is now). If I sell the Cutlass, the money would likely go to paying off the new car early, and then I would probably save up for another project in a few years. If I ever do another car it will not be a G body again. I will probably try something completely different to challenge me as I never build the same kind of car twice. ( possible choices include: Datsun PL510, Austin Mini, 1991-94 Sentra SE-R, or a Trabant 601.) The problem too is that I can't even afford to use the car as it only gets 15 mpg in the city. I don't know. I may end up keeping it, but I am not really sure right now. There really seems to be no sense in keeping it seeing as how I never even drive it unless my truck breaks down and I use it for pizza delivery.

As for how much I have invested in the car.... Well, a rough estimate is $12-13k. I don't expect to get it all back though. I just need to stop the financial bleeding the car causes. Will I ever regret it? Possibly, but then again I may regret not selling it too because of opportunities missed due to having the responsibilities that come with it. Like I said though, my mind is far from made up, and I would not sell it until later this year or the beginning of next at the earliest.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
i have to be honest here if i ever saw an incomplete cutlass for 6500 i would laugh at it. there are some many cutlass cars out there, obviously not with the engine or anything but people would buy them for much cheaper and do them how they wanted the car done. i am still saying though you may be able to find someone to buy the car at that price but i know i wouldn't and a lot of other people on the forum probably wouldn't either. who knows maybe in another 10 years these cars may be actually worth somethiung but not right now

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Your car is a G-body dream, and if you do sell it, don't take a dime less than 6500$. I'm at the same place you are, just different circumstances. I was thinking of asking 3000$ for my MCSS, i'm about to make a post about it, i seen this post and decided to comment. I can't say don't sell it because i understand where you're coming from about it, but all i can say is you will regret it, because i know i will. And your car is allot further along than mine. :blam:

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
Sorry you're contemplating selling the Olds, but I have to agree with most here, especially HurstOlds. The market and economy are a little too tight to get top dollar unfortunately. Also, selling in the fall can be a really hard time. You figure, people are putting their kids back in school, they just finished up va-ca's, car season winding down, possibly thinking about Thanksgiving / Christmas / New Year spending. In other words, most folks have already spent their cash & are looking to save up for school, Christmas gifts, winter, etc. And most of us are really looking for the "DEAL", trying to get something cheaper. It's how I picked up a great '65 Impala a couple years ago, a '66 Impala many years ago and my latest g-body. Come to think, all but two vehicles I bought in the fall / winter.

When I ended up selling the '66 Impala ago I kind of put feelers in the fall; all I got were low-ball offers (it didn't help I was in my mid-20s at the time, most thinking they could take advantage of a "kid"). I waited until spring and got what I wanted. I knew spring time the weather was breaking, tax checks were mailed, the car season was starting and people were looking for their next toy / project. Like you, I knew I wasn't going to get what I put into rebuilding it - it's rare anybody does - but by waiting I got what I asked. And it didn't cost me anything to hold on to it.

I would definitely fix what needs to be, start at a price that's fair. The $6500 seems ok, especially considering all the work you completed, but be willing to come down. I mean, us enthusiats here appreciate the work / effort, but most won't. I just hope if you do sell it's to someone who cares about cars. Because if you sell it to someone who doesn't and you see it a few months later trashed you're going to be P.O'd!! For that asking price make sure you try to list everything you did. Receipts are good but getting the point across you put in a lot of work will help keep people from low-balling you too much.

In any event , good luck if you decide to sell the Cutlass. Maybe someone on here will pick it up.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
redsx2434 said:
i have to be honest here if i ever saw an incomplete cutlass for 6500 i would laugh at it. there are some many cutlass cars out there, obviously not with the engine or anything but people would buy them for much cheaper and do them how they wanted the car done. i am still saying though you may be able to find someone to buy the car at that price but i know i wouldn't and a lot of other people on the forum probably wouldn't either. who knows maybe in another 10 years these cars may be actually worth somethiung but not right now
It would be a fully completed car if I sold it, not an incomplete project. I have most of the parts to finish it, but I am putting the time into my AMC right now as I want to sell it off first. Plus, I am trying to finish my house and that's taking up a bit of my time as well. As far as the price goes, $6500 would be the asking price, but if someone came along with $5500 cash I would have a hard time not taking it. hell, if someone came along with $4k cash to buy it as is right now I would be tempted.

At any rate for anyone bored enough to want to know, here is what I am doing now. I have to finish my house by August so that I can get it appraised for a refinance. After refinancing, I should be able to cut $200 off my monthly expenses. I am also trying to finish my AMC enough that I can sell it as a running driving car for $2500-2000 and use that money along with my tax refund as a down payment on a new base model Toyota Yaris. Why a Yaris? I can get it for $11,500 with A/C after incentives and it gets 29-34mpg in the city. The extra mileage (going from 20mpg and I drive 2500 miles a month) pays the monthly payment. Plus, my truck is getting expensive to run ($1500 in repairs since January), so a new car with a full warranty gives me a break from repairs for a few years. It is also rated to be one of the most reliable cars on the market which plays well for pizza delivery work. I also get to depreciate the new car over 5 years on my taxes as it is a business expense. I am also taking in a friend of mine as a roommate for $300 a month at the end of August, which should further stabilize my economic situation. All this is to help me be able to dedicate time to school instead of projects over the next 2 years. After that, I should be able to get a real job and move on with my life.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
NO insults intended from me friend..with the market the way it is today---6500 is a bit high unless you have a car in the wrapper..........But we don't know what personal issues you have and it's not our business...........I say keep the car...Once you were to sell it and piss the money away, you will have regrets friend..Been there:( The only way I would sell that ride is if you had children you were trying to feed or about to go into foreclosure, and I'm assuminig your not cuz the banks won't wait til you get you car fixed.... I'm with Blake on this one...I hope you can get your sh*t together and keep your Cutty :!:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor