MONTE CARLO WANT TO RAISE THE RIDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
A Donk is a 1971-1976 Chevrolet Caprice/Impala only in stock or modified condition. It has absolutely nothing to do with wheels, paint, or suspension.

Just putting brand new OE springs and shocks will raise the car some. These cars did not sit very low when new.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know it was that limited. More like a trend. All I see are YouTube videos that have donk in the title and you see all sorts of cars. Is there a term that covers lifted cars?

Aside from the obvious...."lifted cars" I mean!?!

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
Like was said above, if the P.O. wants to be able to make adjustments up and down, then the system needs to be adjustable. So either old school hydraulics or newer school air bags would be required. I do have experience with air ride and find it to be excellent in being able to adjust on the fly. I didn't find it to be of poor quality ride. In fact, quite the opposite.

So air bags dont provide a quality ride?

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know it was that limited. More like a trend. All I see are YouTube videos that have donk in the title and you see all sorts of cars. Is there a term that covers lifted cars?

Aside from the obvious...."lifted cars" I mean!?!

Nope, just lifted cars. That lift phase was nearly over, then bigger wheels were released (30", 32", and 34" wheels).

Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
And going to15x7s with 225/70s from the 14x6s with 195/75s raised it another 3ish inches.

Your math isn't quite working out there. I just put 195/75R14's on my Miata and they were 25.5" tall. To raise a car another 3ish inches would take at least a 30.5" diameter tire. 225/70's are 27.5". The tires swap was worth maybe a little more than 1 inch. If you got significantly more, the old tires were worn or underinflated,

• Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Your math isn't quite working out there. I just put 195/75R14's on my Miata and they were 25.5" tall. To raise a car another 3ish inches would take at least a 30.5" diameter tire. 225/70's are 27.5". The tires swap was worth maybe a little more than 1 inch. If you got significantly more, the old tires were worn or underinflated,
I was probably thinking 3ish" total, springs+tires, don't know why I wrote them as separate. All I know, is it's way higher than it was. I can have more than 2 people in the car now without the exhaust basically dragging on the ground. There are still 2 cherry bombs unaccounted for I lost two years ago.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The old adage:

Costs: Cheap
Works: Good
Ease of install/custom fab required: easy/minimal

Take your pick. I'm generous, you can have any two of the three.

• Agree

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I don't know of any cons to a coilover setup- it's really the height of adjustability (no pun intended). You can raise and lower, control the shock compression and rebound, and swap springs for ride quality. I guess the only con could be the fact that you can't do any of that while driving.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Here's an analogy:

Pretend were independent contractors. You walked in saying "my house is too small for my needs, I need you to fix it"

Ok.

We know we're looking at a reno. But is there excessive storage, too big a kitchen, extra formal living area we can take out of the layout to give you another bath, extra bedroom, walk in closets, etc? Or do you need an addition, and if so, is it a bathroom, office, giving area, bedrooms, bigger kitchen?

You've said you need something, but not what you want to do with it. We know you want something adjustable, but you just say a little... what's a little to me, is a lot to the next guy.

The more you tell us the WHAT you want to be able to do at the end the better advice you're going to get. This is gbodyforum... you maybe have one or two cracks by someone, but for the most part, you will get helped to the best of our abilities... this isn't like a purist board where they'll ignore you because they don't agree with what you want.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor