want to run mid to low 11's

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfs1959

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2007
Kansas city MO
Ok I think I'm sold on the 8.5. I done some research and seems they hold up well if well built. I'm gonna keep an eye out for one at swaps and junk yards. are there any ways to identify a 8.5 over the 7.5 easily?

Nightmare388

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2007
North West IL
wolfs1959 said:
Is there any reasonable difference between the lakewood bars and the SSM bars?

Joe
I'm not sure but the look very similar. I would say they work the same.

MonteMan1987

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2007
Hudson MA
wolfs1959 said:
Ok I think I'm sold on the 8.5. I done some research and seems they hold up well if well built. I'm gonna keep an eye out for one at swaps and junk yards. are there any ways to identify a 8.5 over the 7.5 easily?
I have a 8.5" In my Monte SS with a 450 hp motor, the rearend help up great made more then 25 passes on it with no problems at all, It is now being rebuilt at my local diff shop and the guy said they are just as good as a 12bolt and 9" if you build them up. He is gaurantee mine for 650hp. One easy way to tell a 7.5" from a 8.5" is looking at the diff cover and located on the left and right side of the housing there are little tabs, 8.5" have a square tab, 7.5" have a pointed tab. hope that helps

J-(Chicago)

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 15, 2007
8.5 is a 10 bolt perfectly round cover with triangular casting at 5 and 7 o'clock.

the 7.5 is not quite round and has a much smaller cover.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
wolfs1959 said:
Hello what would it take motor,frame and suspension wise to run these kind of times in a gbody. I used to "tinker" with them back in highschool but its been awile.

will the factory frame rear suspension hold up to the torque (launch's) for these kind of times?

could someone point me in the right direction to get the suspension set up?

rearend? swap out for 12 bolt? upgrades?... ?

I am still looking for a car at the moment but would like to get an idea of what im getting into. I'm seriously looking into a v6 car that is for sale localy that is in great shape body and frame wise(seems like alot of them i have looked at have had bad rust on the frame by the rear bumper. also what would, if any, downfalls be to starting with a v6 car, frame rearend...?

this car will be my daily driver in the summer months with some "track" time and garaged in the winter. I am looking for rock solid reliable. if i have to I will overbuild just to make sure. I honestly am getting tired of wrenching I have been doing it full time job for almost 15yrs and i want to build a gbody and drive it for the next 10 or so years without having to do any major work other than routine maint.

alot of ?'s i know

thanks

Joe
Joe
Your stock suspension will work just fine, I would box the control arms and install new bushings. An 8.5 or a 9 in will be money well spent and I would include a sway control. I use stock springs and shocks and gets into personal preference. Don't forget about your cage and safty equipment - bolt in some HP and HAVE FUN. I will send you some pic's of my set-up.

deanz406

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2007
Latrobe,Pa
RE: Low to Mid 11 sec GBody

Hi Joe-well-that's a lot to ask for.There are several things you should take into consideration.If you need a street driver-you will have to consider a PUMP GAS motor.It is going to be difficult to move a 3100Lb car-1320 ft-in the mid 11 sec range,without the compression needed to make HP.I would suggest a big inch smallblock-like a 406,try to stay around 10.0-11.0 compression.If you are closer to 11.0/1, you will have to do a mix of race gas&93 pump gas.The magic in these motors will be the cam selection, and cylinder heads you use.A pretty big Hyd cam(streetable),would be something like the Comp Cams Magnum-500/500--244o/244o,maybe a Dart 200-64cc-with a flat top piston.Actually there are several good heads for this use-the Dart--World Products SportsmanII-Edelbrock Performer RPM-Brodix Race Rite.
I can give you an example of my combo-I have an 87 Buick Regal--Pump gas 406 S/B--Comp Cam 30/30 solid-504/498-247o/254o--Speed Pro Hyp piston-shallow dish-comp ratio came out at 10.25/1,with a set of World Products SportsmanII heads at 69cc.I did do a full competition port job on the heads, and use an Edelbrock Victor intake.The rearend is a GN-8.5 w/ 4:10 gears.I had a 350 Turbo built,w/a 4500 stall Transmission Specialties converter.The car weighs 3450 w/ me in it.Best pass was a 11.84@116,with a 28" slick.I do run a little race gas in it at the track.
Another way is to build a stout 355- and put some Nitrous to it--BUTTT- you better build a strong bottom end-like Steel Crank-good rods-Forged pistons,and good heads.Well- these are some of my passing thoughts-There are so many things that u can do-EVERYTHING IS RELEVANT TO TIME & MONEY!!! GOOD LUCK-- Dean

n00b
Jul 1, 2007
ON, Canada
wolfs1959 said:
Is there any reasonable difference between the lakewood bars and the SSM bars?

Joe
They are the same. South Side Machine was bought out by Lakewood and the same patterns are used for their bars. They work great too :roll: Improved the 60' and made for a straight launch with Trick Springs front & rear.

wolfs1959

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2007
Kansas city MO
Re: RE: Low to Mid 11 sec GBody

deanz406 said:
Hi Joe-well-that's a lot to ask for.There are several things you should take into consideration.If you need a street driver-you will have to consider a PUMP GAS motor.It is going to be difficult to move a 3100Lb car-1320 ft-in the mid 11 sec range,without the compression needed to make HP.I would suggest a big inch smallblock-like a 406,try to stay around 10.0-11.0 compression.If you are closer to 11.0/1, you will have to do a mix of race gas&93 pump gas.The magic in these motors will be the cam selection, and cylinder heads you use.A pretty big Hyd cam(streetable),would be something like the Comp Cams Magnum-500/500--244o/244o,maybe a Dart 200-64cc-with a flat top piston.Actually there are several good heads for this use-the Dart--World Products SportsmanII-Edelbrock Performer RPM-Brodix Race Rite.
I can give you an example of my combo-I have an 87 Buick Regal--Pump gas 406 S/B--Comp Cam 30/30 solid-504/498-247o/254o--Speed Pro Hyp piston-shallow dish-comp ratio came out at 10.25/1,with a set of World Products SportsmanII heads at 69cc.I did do a full competition port job on the heads, and use an Edelbrock Victor intake.The rearend is a GN-8.5 w/ 4:10 gears.I had a 350 Turbo built,w/a 4500 stall Transmission Specialties converter.The car weighs 3450 w/ me in it.Best pass was a 11.84@116,with a 28" slick.I do run a little race gas in it at the track.
Another way is to build a stout 355- and put some Nitrous to it--BUTTT- you better build a strong bottom end-like Steel Crank-good rods-Forged pistons,and good heads.Well- these are some of my passing thoughts-There are so many things that u can do-EVERYTHING IS RELEVANT TO TIME & MONEY!!! GOOD LUCK-- Dean

man great info sorry so late to post but i havn't visited thi site for awile. I actually have been doing alot of "resto" type work lately I've dug into the suspension/brakes.... started sanding and painting frame it wasnt bad but could have got there quick on the road. I'm also instaling all new front end parts (bushings,balljoints,tierods...) going with qa1 single adjustable front and rear. I found a 9" rear 4.10 soon to have cclip elim..... im looking for a core th400 now....

as for motor. I sold my last motor and going all forged lower end 6"rod 383, race rite 200cc heads, still not dicided on cam choice but i am going roller(comp xtreme energy 242/248@50? or bigmuthathumpr off hand i think it was 247/25?@50) I am thinking the same comp. ratio's 10-11 but would rather stick closer to 10. hooker super comps,3" xpipe exh., 800cfm demon. I figure if I'm not running low 11's Im going to slap an old 350 in her and experiment with nitrous on cheeper engine than blow my $$$$$ up because i dont know what im doing :twisted: :twisted: .

as for now im just trying to get my car ready for the road. anti roll bar in the rear and bigger sway bar in front going to build my own solid body mounts. trying to liten up the front a little no power steering,a/c or heat,inner fenders...

... I could ramble all day but like you said I can only get done a little at a time as money and time alows. as of now im dead in the water because i broke my right hand and had surgery yesterday so she is just collecting dust in the garage for a few weeks. im probably not going to be able to run her this year now. 6 weeks lost pay and time to work on my baybie put a real damper on things :cry: :cry: :cry: . but this i guess will give me one more winter of saving money and to make her a little nicer :? .

hey Dean are those times on street tires? Im going to run If Iremember correctly 275/60 15 drag radials on the street because they are the same size as my 28/10.50 slicks.

also I havnt really dicided on the race rite 180's or 200's seems like the 383 could be a toss up? any info would be apriciated here. the 200's IMO would like a little bigger cam than the 180's but this is were i get a little lost?

thanks, Im sure I'll be on here b.sing now that i have ALOT more time on my "hands" going in on the 20th to have the stitches taken out and doc says he might redo the cast so i can at least have all my fingers back lets pray.
Joe

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
I found a 9" rear 4.10 soon to have cclip elim..
i'm not sure if you mean that you need to eliminate the c-clips on the ford 9 or this will eliminate the GM rear with c-clips. i'm 99% sure the ford 9 doesn't have c-clips if that's what you were thinking. if not i guess i need to learn how to read :oops:

that sucks!!!! what happened to the hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor