Was a 84' up Monte SS 4-spd ever made ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1badbu

Greasemonkey
Jul 28, 2010
Kentucky
Back in the late 80's a man I knew who was a mechanic at the Ironton,Ohio Chevy dealer (Higgins) told me he had worked on a factory 4-speed SS Monte.He said the car was bought in Mexico,and the owner who was passing thru the area had to have some service done to the car.
He mentioned the floor shifter was located in the floor like in my 79'Malibu (3-speed standard) was.
I've always had my doubts,but does anyone know if GM offered the standard shifts in the G-Bodys in Mexico this late into the 80's ? Or was my ole racing buddy pulling my leg ?

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
Very likely, I think theyre still making the old school VW Beetle down there

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
Yes, I've seen pictures of them.........somewhere! They were 4-speed, I believe a 350, and a Pontiac Grand Prix interier.
Check out "Mexican Monte Carlo SS" Web Seach.

Doug

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The only 4-spd Monte SS' that I'm aware of are the Mexican built cars. They have a Pontiac GP style dash and the checkerboard aluminum wheels..*yuck!

1badbu

Greasemonkey
Jul 28, 2010
Kentucky
Wow,I see it now when googling Mexican MonteCarlo SS.

I had no idea.I always sorta thought my buddy was pulling my leg,but in 1984 only you could get a 350 and a 4-speed in the M.C.SS :shock:

Wonder why GM didn't offer that combo in the U.S. ? They would have sold plenty.

But I also wonder why they did offer that combo in Mexico anyway ?

Has anyone seen one of these SS's on E-Bay for sale ? If so how much do they go for ?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've never seen these cars for sale on Ebay or anywhere else for that matter. I would imagine that they were a fairly low production vehicle. Why they never built them like that in the states is anybodies guess.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
They were also built with Dana (unsure of the size... 44? 60?) rearends.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
MrHernandez said:
Very likely, I think theyre still making the old school VW Beetle down there
=========================================================================================================
FYI, Mexico stopped manufacturing the old style beetle several years back. But there is a heck of alot of them running around.
Brazil also built the old style beetles. But I think they also stopped production. I guess the demand for them had decreased significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor