Weather Stripping and New Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I run two bi-xenon on the outside and two hid on the inside hi beam with 4 Hella conversion lens. The HID are brighter then the LED and they last longer than the LED. The other advantage to the hid is they create heat to melt the snow on the lens. The LED create lots of heat but only in the circuit board so if the integrated fan stops working the LED burns out real quick. LED's are suppose to last a long time but to get the quality LED you'll be paying alot more than what you'll pay for the cheap chinese lights. Most of the LED's on the market are poor quality and will burn out alot sooner than advertised.

I run HID's on my GTO and while they are a ton better than stock I hate that you could have a light out when the ballast doesn't fire up but since they put out such great light you are driving around in a padiddle without knowing. I agree that cheap anything you get what you pay for but I have been surprised with these LED headlights. But what you are talking about is more of the individual LED that has the big fan off the back, these are 9 smaller LED's that have the fan built into the 4x6.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I run HID's on my GTO and while they are a ton better than stock I hate that you could have a light out when the ballast doesn't fire up but since they put out such great light you are driving around in a padiddle without knowing. I agree that cheap anything you get what you pay for but I have been surprised with these LED headlights. But what you are talking about is more of the individual LED that has the big fan off the back, these are 9 smaller LED's that have the fan built into the 4x6.

The hella lenses I have throw a pattern beam so if one light is out it would be easy to tell from the drivers seat. I have had the same ballasts and bulbs for 4 years. The only problem I have had was with the relay. I have seen quite a few people come into my friend's shop with burnt out aftermarket LEDs

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The hella lenses I have throw a pattern beam so if one light is out it would be easy to tell from the drivers seat. I have had the same ballasts and bulbs for 4 years. The only problem I have had was with the relay. I have seen quite a few people come into my friend's shop with burnt out LEDs
I had HIDs in my truck, and took them out because of troubleshooting the constant failures. Is it the bulb? Is it the ballast? Is it both? I had a friend at the stereo shop, so getting replacements wasn't difficult. BUT, it was a PITA to constantly do it. That being said, maybe they were just junk; I've heard the VLED (brand) are better....

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I had HIDs in my truck, and took them out because of troubleshooting the constant failures. Is it the bulb? Is it the ballast? Is it both? I had a friend at the stereo shop, so getting replacements wasn't difficult. BUT, it was a PITA to constantly do it. That being said, maybe they were just junk; I've heard the VLED (brand) are better....

My friend who is in the business never get the HID kits in the same boxes although he orders it from the same contact in china and they all seem to work with very few returns. He may have 3 or 4 bulbs and ballasts in a year, not enough to do a return and he just scraps them. The most problems occur with the self installers. As long as the contacts are protected from the elements the hids will work without any issues. For me it's not about the appearance of the lights or the cool factor, it's all about seeing down the road and not running out of light

this seems to be a good test on the LED, the only advantage I see with an LED is the instant on but if you drive the car in the winter the LED will not melt the snow on the lens

http://betterautomotivelighting.com/2017/05/03/15-brands-led-headlight-bulb-shoot-ones-best/

the only bulb that interests me from the review is this one, it has no fan and it has the best beam. But for 4 in Canadian dollars I'm looking at over $500.

https://headlightrevolution.com/gtr-lighting-gen-3-ultra-series-led-headlight-bulbs-h4-9003/

Last edited:

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
The hella lenses I have throw a pattern beam so if one light is out it would be easy to tell from the drivers seat. I have had the same ballasts and bulbs for 4 years. The only problem I have had was with the relay. I have seen quite a few people come into my friend's shop with burnt out aftermarket LEDs
Hella is very quality if you are willing to spend the money, I'm not against spending the money I was just looking for more features out of the 4x6 to make it look modern. I saw at SEMA that Oracle is starting to run some new stuff, I really liked the Jeep debut they had. But have heard issues with Oracles even for the crazy price.

Yeah, you are preaching to the choir that's what I got tired of when dealing with DDM. I bought them before they got busted so they were sending over better units but still have the lifetime warranty which is nice but then you have to deal with shipping and all the other hassles. I think I am going to try out XK Glow in my other 4x6 that is empty right now due to the HID breaking during install. I put them on a customers GTO and he loved them, honestly I just would like to have the angry eyes coming out of the projector.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Hella is very quality if you are willing to spend the money, I'm not against spending the money I was just looking for more features out of the 4x6 to make it look modern.

Like I said, I'm more interested in the performance of the headlights over the looks and I don't mind spending money to make my car safer. I like my headlights looking original till I turn them on.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Like I said, I'm more interested in the performance of the headlights over the looks and I don't mind spending money to make my car safer. I like my headlights looking original till I turn them on.
Yup, don't blame you in the least. If mine looked more stock I would probably be going the same route, but I am looking to modernize everything on the car since it is not

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I tried a set of LED headlights in my 2004 Grand Cherokee today. The headlight has the DRL so I can't use HID so I tried the LED, the DRL with the LED flickers so I used the anti flicking module that is used for the HID, the module worked and stopped the flickering. I removed the LED lights due to the fact there was no pattern for my headlights with the LED. I never bothered to test them to see how far down the road cause it's ignorant to bother other drivers with a headlight that lit up to the height of over 6 feet of wall parked 10 feet from the wall

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I tried a set of LED headlights in my 2004 Grand Cherokee today. The headlight has the DRL so I can't use HID so I tried the LED, the DRL with the LED flickers so I used the anti flicking module that is used for the HID, the module worked and stopped the flickering. I removed the LED lights due to the fact there was no pattern for my headlights with the LED. I never bothered to test them to see how far down the road cause it's ignorant to bother other drivers with a headlight that lit up to the height of over 6 feet of wall parked 10 feet from the wall
DRL doesn't mean you can't run HID's, just means you need to run an accessory harness to get them full power. As discussed earlier, yeah with the LED bulb you need a projector to focus the bulbs light just as it would an HID. I have to agree the blinding poorly focused setups are very ignorant and unsafe, luckily mine is the little individual LEDs and the previous owner slightly cocked the housings inward so they are not perfectly aligned but are setup to not blind drivers. Any of my friends that have been behind me say that it is very bright but not blinding at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor